I found this interesting article

Thread: I found this interesting article

DefaultI found this interesting article

That gives a little insight into the Labrador Retriever history. Some of this I've never heard before. It's very interesting, although if what they say about the history of the Chocolates is true, how very sad!
    (kudos to them for pointing out the delusion many call the Purebred Silver Lab!)

http://www.labpups.com/history-of-la...retrievers.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I found this interesting article

Hmmm, like to know where they got that information from??? Family labs, ay... Sounds like a marketing plan to me. Especally to say they were the 'first' to produce 'family labs'. Please... : And the information she has on chocolates, from MY research, is not true. 1892- two liver-colored puppies born at Buccleuch Kennel. In 1930's Lady Ward established a chocolate line. The first field trial winner, in 1900, was a wavy-coated liver bitch. The first chocolate show champion in the US was in the 1950's. Ch Sandylands Tweed of Blaircourt, Ch Sandylands Mark and Ch Follytower Black Stormer, all top black stud dogs that carried chocolate...

In all of the standards I have researched, never have I read that the white spot is DESIRED. From the LRC in 1916: "The colour is generally black, free from any rustiness and any white markins except possibly a small spot on the chest."

In the 1980's, a new category was added - this was known as the Family Lab. They were bred for health, temperament, intelligence, looks, and the desire to retrieve, in that order. This led to a less hyper, very intelligent Lab that was better suited for the family situation. They did not have the monster heads of the show labs, or the smaller field trial heads, but developed proportional moderate block heads. Good temperament meant the Labs were great with children. They had enough energy to swim or play Frisbee, but were calm enough to crash at your feet and sleep by the fireplace. These Labs lost the desire to roam, and were much more comfortable at home.
    Because the pressure of breeding Labs to win ribbons at events was removed, health naturally improved. Family Labs were not inbred, leading to a decrease in recessive traits causing Dwarfism and other undesirable medical conditions.

The original Family Lab was developed by the owners of Labpups.com. They have had years of experience in this field. Other breeders are just beginning to copy this formula.
    I call this BULL....

I do say bravo about the silver labs statement, though. And I still would like to know where the information came from...

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Umm, besides the info, did you watch the little video? The one labby runs right into the camera! LOL!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yeah, the "family lab" thing is absolute bull.
    i'm referring to the historical stuff - it it's true, it's interesting

The video made my day! That was a pretty good clunk for sure!

everydog is offline Senior Member

It is believed by Darwinists that Labradors derived from the Dolphin many years ago. Perhaps that would explain their playfulness.
    Oh, please :

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Interesting and I would also like to know where they got that info. I think it's mostly marketing myself. I have heard people say Chocolates are not as intelligent as blacks or Yellows...makes as much sense as my neighbor back in Memphis saying black labs chewed more that Yellows or Chocolates : This was the first time I ever heard of Chocolates being destroyed...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

This site's history of the Labrador has much "information" that no one has ever heard before. Some may find it "interesting" but most will find it fanciful and fantasy -- possibly written tongue in cheek? -- or intentionally deceptive?

'Darwinists say Labs descended from dolphins?' : : : I'm a Darwinist and neither I nor anyone who understands evolution would say such a thing except in obvious jest or intent to deceive. (They also forgot to say that Labs munch on grass, too -- which goes to prove that the Yellow Labs are also descended from Jersey cows and Blacks from Black Angus cattle.)

And to say that Labs were "invented" in fishing villages of Newfoundland in the 15th century (1400s) when continuous** settlements in Newfoundland did not occur until early in the 17th century (led by John Guy in 1610) is clearly being inventive or disdainful of truth and facts.

There is so much misinformation and misrepresentation on this site I'd not trust anything about them.

** continuous settlements - some settlements were made by Vikings around the 11th century but these were later abandoned.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748