Is Advil okay to give dogs??

Thread: Is Advil okay to give dogs??

DefaultIs Advil okay to give dogs??

Fergus has a case of cold/limber tail and we were wondering if there is anything we can give him?? We have Kirkland Brand Ibuprofen at home, but it's extra strength (400mg). We weren't sure if it was safe for dogs or not???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is Advil okay to give dogs??

No advil. Buffered aspirin is good though.

georgie is offline Senior Member

No Advil. Buffered aspirin is okay. Hope the tail is better soon. My girls get it once in awhile, it goes away on it's own in a few days of rest.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    No advil. Buffered aspirin is good though.
    I agree.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

NO! (and yes, I'm shouting) As other have said buffered asprin is OK or Ecotrin. With either one, tho, make sure Fergus swallows them whole. If the coating is broken, it won't protect the stomach.

labby is offline Senior Member

No Ecotrin. The pill passes out of the dog's body before the coating breaks down. A dog's digestive system is faster than ours. By the time the coating breaks down, it's already passed through the stomach and it doesn't do its job. That's why if you're going to give aspirin, then the type that has maalox in it is best and it's always best to give with food.

Laura

Thanks everybody, we ended up not giving him anything. He's had cold tail a few times in the past and we've always just let him rest and it ends up being better in a few days. Last night he just seemed to be bothered by it that's why we were thinking of giving him something. He seems alot better today, hopefully he'll be as good as new in no time! We spent the day at the lake on Saturday and even though the temp outside was spring-like the mountain lake was very cold, I'm sure it was all worth it in his mind though

Mine had cold tail about a month ago - never had been near a lake. Just was at the vet and was wagging that tail furiously while he hungout in the waiting room - lots of new friends (his favorite thing) then he got to see the vet techs who are all his best friends - then he got to see the vet who is his other best friend - then back to the waiting room again -

Just wagged himself into a bit of cold tail.