My Puppy While I'm At Work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Puppy While I'm At Work

DefaultMy Puppy While I'm At Work

Another puppy question regarding my three-month old black lab, Hoss. My boyfriend and I recently broke up, and I have now full "dog custody." When we lived together, we gave Hoss plenty of playtime before and after work. We had a neighbor give him a good 30-45 minutes of midday exercise. Hoss was crated during the day.

Now, I live in a dog-friendly condo complex. I can certainly give him plenty of TLC and exercise before and especially after work. My question is this: even if I am able to walk him (or have a dog walker do it) for 1/2 hour during my lunch break each day, is it cruel to keep him crated for the rest of the time while I'm at work? I have heard very mixed answers to this. I would pen him in the kitchen, but I am still fearful he would get into trouble. Again, up until this point, he has been living under the above arrangement- crate all day with a big break in the middle.

I appreciate your responses.

Thank you!

Laura

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My Puppy While I'm At Work

Nope, it should be fine. Baloo was crated for 8 hours/day from the time he was 8 weeks - 6 months with a break in the middle and he was fine.

Sorry about the break-up. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Keep him crated. I am a huge advocate of crates. It's not cruel, it's like their bedroom. My dog is almost 6 and he crawls in it on his own several times during the day/night. If you are able to get someone to come in during the day and let him out (as you were before), that would be excellent. I can't remember the "ratio" for dog's age/how long they can be left before they should go out but I am sure someone will chime in that knows. (I lent my "dog bible" to a friend who has a pup so I can't look it up for you - sorry)

As a side note, sorry to hear that you and your boyfriend are no longer together. Hope you are doing well.

Bev.

P.S. What a great name you have given your dog! I love it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

As long as you can provide activity/exercise for him during off-work hours, and are even able to provide midday breaks, crating works well. A 3 month old lab cannot be trusted : For that matter my 2 year old lab cannot be trusted :P Payton is placed in her kennel (open crate within a somewhat larger chain link surround in the basement) when she is unsupervised. When she is tired, she will even go into the kennel now on her own even when we are home at times. It truly is a wonderful housetraining tool, and safety issue.

Thank you all for your great advice! Hoss and I appreciate it.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Ella,

What you have planned sounds good. Try thinking of the crating as being for his own safety. At three months old he is too young to be trusted for that long unsupervised. I rescued my Lexi & she was a year old when I got her. She was crated for 10 hours for the first 6-8 weeks I had her. She then graduated to being confined to my kitchen. I had her close to a year before she was given run of the house in my absence.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK was crated through 9 months. Then given limited addtional gated space. At 11 months we tried full freedom. Big mistake. She isback to limited freedom and will probably be that way until she is two years.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think you are on the right path. Tal was crated while I was away at work until he was a year old. When he was about 5 months I let him have free run of the house while I was home. A 3 month old cannot be trusted yet to be let loose with no supervision.

I am also very convinced that crate training is the way to go. Tal really doesn't go in his much and I will be using for my second dog when I get him/her sometime this spring. It really is for their own safety and well being because they would get into who knows what while under no supervision.

As long as you continue to provide the exercise like you are, he should be just fine!

Funny thing about crating is they end up LIKING it. I kept Davis our lab crated for the first 1½ years of his life while I was at work. He did just fine. So I decided here recently that I could trust him to run around the house while I was gone.

Where do I end up finding him sometimes when I come home? In his crate snoozing away! Like someone said. Its like their bedroom. They feel safe in there. Your pup will do just fine.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanJ
    Funny thing about crating is they end up LIKING it. I kept Davis our lab crated for the first 1½ years of his life while I was at work. He did just fine. So I decided here recently that I could trust him to run around the house while I was gone.

Where do I end up finding him sometimes when I come home? In his crate snoozing away! Like someone said. Its like their bedroom. They feel safe in there. Your pup will do just fine.
    Ditto
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast