No-kill shelter/rescues in Ohio? (pics) CP from lab rescue

Thread: No-kill shelter/rescues in Ohio? (pics) CP from lab rescue

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultNo-kill shelter/rescues in Ohio? (pics) CP from lab rescue

Does anyone know of any No-kill shelters or rescues in the lower half of Ohio that takes mixed breed dogs? A friend of ours, who is truely a wonderful, unique human being , has personally rescued more dogs (and horses) than anyone I know other than our Joe. He resuced 2 pups about 1.5 months ago, who were starving in a womans back field. He normally tries to find homes for them in the area, or takes them to a no-kill shelter that is over 3 hours away from us. I am trying to find a no-kill shelter or rescue that could take them. He brought them over today and they are just wonderful puppies - app. 5 months old, probably a collie mix - very heavy, nice coats, beautiful large, bushy tails, friendly and smart (he is teaching them basic commands. They are sisters. Please try to overlook the pickup truck part. He takes his dogs for rides in the back of an open pick-up truck. They were restrained so that they could not jump out - but I know that it is a awful idea - just can't really do anything about it. One reason we are looking a little closer this time is that they both get car-sick and he really didn't want to drive them so far. Plus the cost of gas is an issue for him. Did I mention that he is a vietnam vet and suffers from lung cancer? (he is also an ace barber and cuts mine and Su's hair.) Hmmm - after looking at the pics again, maybe shepard/husky mix? Would make more sense around here - you dont' see too many collies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: No-kill shelter/rescues in Ohio? (pics) CP from lab rescue

Pat- I don't off hand. But I forwarded this to my rescue friend up by me to see if
    she know's of anyone. I'll let you know what she tells me when I hear back from
    her.

Thanks so much - they were such nice pups!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

cute pups...I hope you find a home.

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

I certainly don't know all the Ohio shelters, but I don't know of any that are no kill. I guess it is probably because they don't contact me for help, only the kill shelter do. They are very nice looking pups Pat. I don't know what I could do, but let me know if I can help in some way.

What are their personalities like? Are they energetic and/or hyper? I am thinking maybe border collie or golden retriever mix.
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    cute pups...I hope you find a home.

Ditto, I really hope they find a home too, they're soooooo cute!!

Joe - they were very friendly, but didn't appear too hyper at all. They also made nice eye contact with me. He got one out and was walking it on a leash , having it sit on command. For not knowing where they were, and strange people and dogs (mine) there, they seemed pretty calm. I was very impressed with them. I realize there probably aren't any no-kill shelters, but maybe some rescues around. They have very think, long coats , still looks like their puppy coats. He had heard that there was a new no-kill place in Circleville - I'll try to find out more info on them tomorrow. I am going up to Columbus next Saturday, so could take them up anywhere near Columbus. Even if they get carsick, I could proably get my vet to give them something, or crate them in the back of my car. I really would like to see them get a nice home.

Bumping for Monday