Freestyle Class Week Two
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle Class Week Two

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultFreestyle Class Week Two

I think some of you were interested in what was going on in the Freestyle class, so here is this week's report!

Tonight when I got there (late, because I took a wrong turn) they were going through a little dance routine. So, they had already practiced the moves. We had to jump in and get up to speed very quickly. The moves were: Weave through legs, circle (like a right finish, but keep going all the way around), twist in front, something else and then something else. :-[ Angus did great, in spite of Mom's complete confusion.

We are still working on "back up." Angus does this already, but I need to work on perfecting a straight line. I haven't busted out his "real" back up yet. When we play fetch, one of the things we play is for Angus to back up, then I throw him a line drive and he catches it. So he will back straight up, FAST, when we play this game, but it's harder to get him to back up slowly and stay straight.

We are also working on twists on both sides. Whichever side the dog is on, they should be twisting clockwise. This is hard as the devil to work out in your head. Basically, if they're on the left, they're spinning AWAY from you. If they're on the right, they spin in TOWARDS you. We have no trouble with left...have been doing that forever. It's right that is killing us.

I have a really hard time working with a dog on my right. This gets me in agility too. Simon is a little more used to being on my right sometimes because of agility, but Angus and I have never done agility together, so he keeps wanting to creep back over on my left.

Angus wowed the instructor tonight: We were working on having them stand in front of us and move sideways along with us. Does this make sense? We are both stepping sideways together, facing each other. Angus just *did* it. Then he did it again. And again. The instructor said, "CONNIE! Have you all done this before?!?!" Nope. First time, right now. She couldn't believe it. She said, very seriously, that it was the best she had ever seen for a first try. ;D That's my boy! See, I told you guys: It takes him just a minute or two to learn something new!

Angus is just so smart, it's almost freaky. Sometimes I look at him and think, "Wow, if you had someone training you who actually knew what they were doing, you would be unbeatable." Poor Angus. Mommy really holds him back, I think.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Freestyle Class Week Two

Oh Connie you are underestimating yourself!! I think you are the reason Angus is so smart. It is all that training you did when he was a pup!! Just think if someone else had adopted him, thrown in the towel through his difficult puppy antics, and turned him back in to the shelter! I can see him becoming one of those dogs that are fearful and shy. Instead look how he has bloomed with you!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffersonsMom
    Oh Connie you are underestimating yourself!! I think you are the reason Angus is so smart. It is all that training you did when he was a pup!! Just think if someone else had adopted him, thrown in the towel through his difficult puppy antics, and turned him back in to the shelter! I can see him becoming one of those dogs that are fearful and shy. Instead look how he has bloomed with you!
    i totally agree!
    you bring out the best in him

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Awww! That is a very sweet thing to say, you guys!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

While I agree with Jefferson's Mom & Sunjin that it's you . . .
    And I agree with you that it's Angus . . .

I think it's the two of you together!
    He challenged you from the getgo, and you challenged him right back. 8)

I thoroughly enjoy hearing your about freesyle classes.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Connie, that's awesome! I agree, it took you to bring out Angus's intelligence and redirect his drive. If you had not kept him and been determined to turn his antics into something meaningful, he'd have ended up badly instead of the stellar pupil he is now, Please continue with the updates for class.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Connie,
    How old is Angus? How long have you been working w/ him?

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you posted - I was formulating a post in my head to you last night because I wanted to know how your classses were doing. I just know that Emilu would be great at this too. I was telling SU about it and said - Emilu would be great - watch this. Now we have never this before at all, but in the crowded space of the living room, I had her do 2 circles - one clockwise, one counterclockwise in front of me. Just had her follow me hand) and we did a couple of spins in front of me. She has more trouble with turning to her right (clockwise in front of me) than her left - she just doens't seem to bend as well that way. Maybe if we get tossed out of my club and showing in obedience from her dog aggressioin problem, we could do freestyle somewhere :-\

bibber is offline Senior Member

That's great Connie!

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Sounds like you are doing wonderful. I agree it was all the training you did as a pup that made Angus what he is today. He learned to apply himself to please you and so he is a quick study.

Please continue to post about your lessons I love reading about them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast