Freestyle Class Week Two - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle Class Week Two

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Freestyle Class Week Two

I think it's the two of you together!
    He challenged you from the getgo, and you challenged him right back.
    ;D I like that!

It's so funny, because for a loooong time there, I thought Angus was not my "type" of dog at all. I loved him to pieces, of course, but it was really hard to, for example, be in the room with him. I would never have believed how close we have become.

YLP, Angus is 3 1/2. I have been working with him since he was about six weeks old. It was necessity, to keep a bad boy out of trouble. :P

Pat, that is just how Angus is. I guess maybe we have worked together so much that he can read my body language and hands very well, and somehow we have established a way of communicating non-verbally. ;D Here is how well Angus can read me: Angus can tell the difference between when I am just asking him to "down," or when I am going to ask him to "down" and then "roll over." All I have to do is *THINK* "roll over," and he does it. This never fails to amaze me! He is correct 100% of the time. I am sure I am giving him some sort of very subtle cue...maybe my body leans a little differently, or I hold my hand a certain way. I swear, though, I feel like I am just standing there the same as always, and he's just read my mind! BTW, I try not to allow him to read my mind on most things and wait for the command instead He has always tended to try to read minds. :P

Our instructor said that most dogs have more trouble turning one way than the other. But in freestyle, she wants them to be turning clockwise, always, no matter which side they are on. This seems really counter-intuitive to me. ???

Here's what I am thinking about freestyle and how this fits into the plan: I want to finish up Rally with both boys (RE), then get a CD on them, because I think we *should* be able to pull those off. Then I think we will take a break from traditional obedience, and I would like to do freestyle with Angus and agility with Simon. They would each love doing those.

I just don't see CDX/UD for either of them right now. :-\ Simon can actually do a few of the exercises (heel off lead, DOR and I think he might oblige an out of sight stay with some practice), but the rest of the stuff seems pretty daunting. I think it might take years! I wish Sunjin would come up here and teach them to "hold" things for me. ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm enjoying reading about the freestyle classes, too...and it's obvious that all the training you've done with Angus is helping here.

Anne is offline Senior Member

You guys make a great team, Connie.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    You guys make a great team, Connie.
    I agree, you definitely do!!

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus

I just don't see CDX/UD for either of them right now. :-\ Simon can actually do a few of the exercises (heel off lead, DOR and I think he might oblige an out of sight stay with some practice), but the rest of the stuff seems pretty daunting. I think it might take years! I wish Sunjin would come up here and teach them to "hold" things for me. ;D
    And after she teaches your two, she can come here and teach mine!! How about a new career as a traveling dog trainer Sunjin?
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Yeah Sunjin! You can train people's dogs to hold kitchen implements, then take pictures for them and make them a coffee table book of the whole thing! ;D Come on! You know this is what you want to do!

Connie and "The Boys":

Connie, your class sounds like SUCH a blast!

Angus is who Angus is because of you!! Remember those early days of Angus-wrangling? The alligator death rolls? Having to wear leather gardening gloves so that he wouldn't draw blood?? And now look at him!!

Henery says you ought to at least try for your CDX! Running! Jumping! Retrieving!! What could be more fun??

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Connie,

Thanks for posting this. I really love to hear your Angus and me at Freestyle posts. It is just so great that you've found the perfect activity for the two of you. And it is so nice to hear that Angus really seems to be nailing it. Go Angus Go!

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Connie, that's awesome! It sounds like a lot of fun.

I tried for weeks to develop good side-stepping with Theo for rally, and I found it quite difficult. So kudos to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Henery says you ought to at least try for your CDX! Running! Jumping! Retrieving!! What could be more fun??

You make it sound fun! OK, maybe.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast