I got a really nice compliment in class this week :)

Thread: I got a really nice compliment in class this week :)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultI got a really nice compliment in class this week :)

This made me feel so good!

There is a student in our Level 4 dog class who is sort of new to the club. She has a really pretty Doberman. I have been talking to her a little in some of our classes, and tried to help her with her "stand."

Thursday was our last class of this session. We were doing stays at the end, and she and I set up next to each other. We turned and walked to the other side of the ring, and she turned to me and said something like, "I just wanted to say, it is so much fun watching you with your dogs. You are so patient with them and they seem to watch you so closely and really have fun with you. You seem to have such a great relationship with them. You can tell that they love you so much."

I didn't hear all of her intro, and it took me a few seconds to register she was talking about me. "Oh...Me?!?"

She said, "Yes you! I have been watching you, and I just like the way you are with your dogs."

Well! That was the sweetest thing to say!

I got embarrassed and all flustered and didn't really know how to respond, but I thanked her and told her I thought her dog was doing so well

I guess I do spend a lot of time pumping them up in class. :P I want it to be fun for them - that's why we go. It's for their entertainment, mostly. Another thing is, with Angus especially, he has such a short attention span that I really have to work to keep him focused on me. When other people are just listening to the instructor, I am listening but also doing little "fun" tricks with him to keep his interest so he doesn't get bored and start his monkey business. This is probably less necessary than when he was a six month old, but it's a habit I got into in class with him that has stuck, with both boys. So, this probably makes it look like I am such a good doggie mom, but really it's just about trying to keep my boys out of trouble.

Anyway. It made me feel good. I know there are people there who I have watched through the years, and thought, "I like their style. I am going to try to be like that." I couldn't have been more surprised to learn that I had now become one of those people for someone else!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I got a really nice compliment in class this week :)

That was really nice. Improvising, finding out what works is something I think that does create a close bond- it is the thing that is unique between you and your guys....

That's awesome, Connie!! What a nice thing for her to say!!

All those years of Angus-wrangling have paid off!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

That's really nice of her to say that!!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

very nice and well deserved.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford