Dry bath??

Thread: Dry bath??

DefaultDry bath??

Any ideas on how to give my new foster a dry bath? I tried to give him a bath this AM in my shower stall downstairs he freeked..I was even in there with him. He's really afraid of the water. He got in the stall with me when the water wasn't on so I know it's not the actually area it the water. But he really stinks..he smells a little better than last week but he stills stinks. Everything he lays on, including me and Connor lol, end up stinking when he walks away. It sticks to our skin, clothes, the rugs..etc. I've been brushing him, he loves to be brushed. And he is really really itchy. I need some ideas on what to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dry bath??

I soak a wash cloth with the diluted listerine/water mix and squeeze out the excess and run the cloth all over Lucy and Cricket when they have rolled in something gross. Cricket will not tolerate a bath.
    Could you go over him with a washcloth and the mixture?

Could you go over him with a washcloth and the mixture?
    I think so he very affectionate anything is worth a shot at this point lol..stinky boy. Seems like most of the dogs stink coming from the shelter it's like a metal, concrete, stinky dog smell hard to explain but they all smell similiar. He's seems especially stinky probably because his coat is so thick.

I can't see any fleas but he's constantly scratching or biting at himself, he's starting to loose hair on his front legs from biting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he may have an allergy problem, and certainly dry skin. Try adding fish oil to his food, and the listerine wipe is a good idea, too.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Possibly try a tub bath?

My Puff freaked out in the tub at first until I put a large RubberMaid mat over its bottom; that gave her toenails something to hang on to.

Also, it's best to stuff some netting into the drain to collect dog hair before it washes down and clogs the drain.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

If you think he'll tolerate a spray bottle, you can try one of the waterless shampoos that are out there. They're pretty easy to use- spray on, rub in and brush.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

The Listerine/water wipe is a good idea.
    LOVE the sig pic... been a long time.

Seamus and Flynn