Underground fences

Thread: Underground fences

DefaultUnderground fences

I am getting married next Jan. My fiance is moving into the house in August. My dog Hunter is 17 months now, and I dont want him to get hit by a car. There will be dogs next door accross the creek and big oak trees in the yard, which means lots of squirrls to chase. The house sits on about 2 acres and I was planning on fencing as much of the property as I could. I can buy the fence and borrow the equipment to dig the trenches myself.

I want the fence to do its job so I dont have to worry about him going in the road or on some other persons land. But also, I still want to be able to take him for rides and walks through the woods without him being scared to come out of the fence because of fears of being shocked. Anybody have any adivce or experiences with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Underground fences

I have an Invisible Fence system for Lexi. I had mine professionally installed, whether you choose to DIY it or go pro, the most important part of the system is TRAINING!!!

Without following the training & by default the reinforcement of "Beep means back", an invisible fence won't do a blessed bit of good.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Oh we used the underground fence you can buy at Wal-Mart...we LOVE IT! My grandparents have 23 acres and we fenced in (ourselves) just the areas up to the pastures so they could roam (the front and back yard). Since then, we have bought a house that has a fully fenced in yard but we left the fence there so that if they puppy sit or we come by to visit we know our pups are safe. It was the best investment ever. We were able to take the collars off and they still know the boundaries. They use it for their pup now too. The only thing is she loves to test it and knows that if it quits beeping (battery in the collar dies) that she can go through!

As far as going for walks in the woods, we set a designated exit/entrance and they were only allowed to go past the boundary if they were on leash. After we got through the boundary they were allowed off, but they knew where WE could bring them in and out. they learned fairly quickly where they were allowed to walk through with us.

Good luck! We love(d) ours!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have the invisible fence and put it in ourselves. We are on 5 acres didn't do the whole thing but did put some of it through our woods. It was so much cheaper doing it ourselves and has worked wonders for us. We aren't by any busy streets but wanted our guys to stay within the boundaries.

So fence in whatever I want to, but leave like the driveway open so they can get through? Seems to me they would just straight to that if they wanted to get out. I dont mind fencing in the everything, just as long as I could maybe take the collar off and him maybe no he was free to get out.

My parents house is two houses up and if i walk up there, I want him to be able to go as well.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Fence the entire area, do not leave ANY open area or he will very quickly learn to go out that way whenever he wants. Use a different door out of the house to take him (on leash) visiting, so he never goes out of the fenced area unless it is through the house.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

OH NO! I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear...fence in the entire area! We would take their collars off and put the leash on, then walk them through the designated area. They learned when they had the leash on and we walked through that area with them then it was ok.

You are right though, if you didn't fence in the whole thing then, 1. it wouldn't work because it has to make a full loop, 2. you pup would learn where to get out for sure! Again...sorry I didn't clearly state that.

I love my IF. I taught Dexter to go through the fence line on a leash with the command "Leash On." We would approach the fence line and he would start to balk. I would repeat "Leash on" and continue through. He learned quickly that it was ok to cross once the command was given.
    Training training training is the key to success with an IF.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

We have an invisible fence and like it a lot. Gives her freedom while keeping her safe. Yes, fence the entire area. Then chose an area that you will designate the "invisible gate". Everytime you leave the yard you take the dog out through that area on a leash stressing to the dog that --with a person and on leash it is safe to go through that area. (of course you have the fence collar off so they will see there is not a shock).

We have our long driveway fenced off too. I just put on their regular collars and say "release" when we get to the invisible fence line on the driveway when going for walks. In some areas we have the fence twisted which then makes it inactive, there's an area going back to where the transmittor is that we did that for.