Dewclaws... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewclaws...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dewclaws...

I'm glad that mine both have theirs- they use them constantly to grip the hillsides when they're running/climbing and to hold onto things they're chewing on. Plus, I actually like the look.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JustineNYC Guest

Dale has his and hes never had any kind of problems with them. I do notice he can grasp things alot easier then Molly. I never even knew people had them removed prior to getting Molly.

Cinnamon has hers and she uses them all the time. I will never buy a puppy that they were removed on. I keep them trimmed short. If we take her someplace with a lot of things to catch them on I just put a little vet wrap (what you see horses legs wrapped with) on them to keep her from snagging them in the tall brush.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I will never get a dog that doesn't have theirs....too valuable.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

patm is offline Senior Member

Skippy has his (front) and Emilu had hers removed as a wee pup before I got her. I would never have them removed if it were up to me. I don't believe in routinely removing "parts" of animals if there is not a individual , good reason. I know that some people (usually people who run field dogs) think the it removes the possibility of tearing one, but it doesn't seem a good enough reason to routinely remove all dogs dewclaws when most will never have a problem with them. I don't know that much about back paw dewclaws. I wish Emilu had hers. She uses her paws alot to hold and manipulate things, and I imagine it would be much easier on her if she had them.

I will never get a dog that doesn't have theirs....too valuable.
    I don't think Dani meant rescue dogs here - I would hope that someone woulnd't get a dog from a rescue because it didn't have dewclaws. Just, if you are planning to buy from a breeder.

Tundra Aries Guest

All of my dogs have them too.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

both my dogs have them. In all the rough and tumble and traversing rough terrain, they have never had a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12