What do you guys make of this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you guys make of this?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you guys make of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Marnie
    Rusty "herds" Seamus in the same way he would sheep. Border Collies know which sheep are the dominant sheep, who will follow who. If he doesn't control the lead sheep then he may as well lay down on the front porch and go to sleep. He isn't worried about Flynn because he is not the alpha dog in your pack. I would suggest training them separately. This way Flynn would become a little more independent of Seamus and think for himself.
    Fascinating, Marnie! Thank you for the b/c insight. Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marnie
    Rusty "herds" Seamus in the same way he would sheep. Border Collies know which sheep are the dominant sheep, who will follow who. If he doesn't control the lead sheep then he may as well lay down on the front porch and go to sleep. He isn't worried about Flynn because he is not the alpha dog in your pack. I would suggest training them separately. This way Flynn would become a little more independent of Seamus and think for himself.
    That is what I was going to say too.

My family had a Sheltie as I was growing up and her littermate was owned by my mom's good friend. The herding instinct in the two was incredible. Definitely as strong as the retriever's instinct. Your BC is trying to keep the herd close together and when Seamus breaks out he must put him in line.

He knows that Flynn will follow Seamus' lead so he is focussing his "correction" on Seamus.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Wow, that is an interesting assessment re: herding! ;D Such a fascinating post, Nance. Thanks for sharing it!

My two have an odd retrieving ritual too, when they are both going together. Simon is much more concerned about what Angus is doing rather than where the bumper is. You know, he's just watching Angus out of the corner of his eye the whole time. It makes me think, along with other little behaviors, that Simon has some kind of herder in his makeup.

We have had to curtail group retrieving lately, though. :-\ They seem to be a little too competitive at times.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12