Ever heard of a dog that doesn't like to learn?!?!

Thread: Ever heard of a dog that doesn't like to learn?!?!

DefaultEver heard of a dog that doesn't like to learn?!?!

I guess I have one of those dogs! NOTHING is stimulating when it comes to training. Sargeant knows his basics, but we've been trying to incorporate fun things that will work his mind into the picture....he doesn't wanna learn them though! : He isn't hyper at all during training, he gets his excercise prior to this, he LOVES his Kong squeeky tennis ball (but not if he has to work for it), he is all about lovings (but not if it's a reward), and he LOVES the liver treats we bought (but once again, not if he actually has to do something to get them!) :-\ Our other two will do cartwheels just for a little loving...not him! Somebody told me once that some dogs just don't like to learn...I believe we got a dud! : Oh well, we love him none the less.... :-*

GOTTA LOVE THAT FACE ANYWAY! :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ever heard of a dog that doesn't like to learn?!?!

Have you tried working the other dogs in front of him, giving them lovins and treats for good performance? Mine HATE to see the other one training and getting treats without them.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

how old is he? is he refusing to take food at home, or at the training hall? Any chance that he might be afraid/nervous/shut down from stress?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My Bob fits that description to a tee. Darla is the alpha and she can understand quite a bit. Best Bob can do is sit and shake (paw). He is just not interested in learning anything but is just a big lovebug.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Peanut is/has been a very difficult dog to train. She is super duper "soft" and will shut right down if she even thinks that you are displeased with her. :-\

She can learn though, in a very quiet setting with LOTS of positive reinforcement and many treats.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by BradsDarla
    My Bob fits that description to a tee. Darla is the alpha and she can understand quite a bit. Best Bob can do is sit and shake (paw). He is just not interested in learning anything but is just a big lovebug.
    Oh he's definately a huge lovebug! We've tried to teach him shake for weeks....no luck! He isn't even the slightest bit interested in trying! Glad we aren't the only ones that have a dog like this! :P

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    Have you tried working the other dogs in front of him, giving them lovins and treats for good performance? Mine HATE to see the other one training and getting treats without them.
    I thought this too, so we put both our boys together and asked them to perform the same task....all he did was back up and let Toby do the trick and get the love and treat! I was truly surprised at this seeings how Toby and him are always competing against each other. ??? We've tried one on one, outside, inside, he never gets shy but he just doesn't wanna work! I get the treats out and he's all excited, until I ask him to do something then he just turns his head and walks off or lays down....he is truly a handful! :

Oh yes, I have one. Miss Bella!! She is the most laziest dog I have ever known.
    She doesn't play with toys, doesn't do a darn thing but lay around and sleep. >
    And and she's good and chewing things up too!!! :-\

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It's hard for me to imagine a dog that "doesn't want to learn."

(I think you're blaming the wrong individual but I certainly sympathize with your frustration.)

My first Lab, Bess, (I know now) was at a genius level in trainability. My present Lab, Puff, is different and sometimes takes different approaches to teaching a task.

There are common, traditional, ways of training that work for MOST dogs but which -- because there are such wide differences in traits among dogs -- will NOT work with every one.

Bess quickly learned in weeks or months the commands to go left or right. But Puff, at 6+ years, still is wobbly in obeying those comands despite 6 years of training. The fault is mine for lack of inventiveness -- but it sure would be comforting to blame Puff.

In my past experience as a psychologist, I worked for several years with DD/(MR) populations in institutions. Some had IQs as low as 9; we helped train simple responses that made for easier care. While it's always dangerous to transfer suppositions about characteristics of humans to animals**, in this case, I doubt that's a factor. ANY animal with a nervous system is capable of learning.

I've never seen any human, any animal, that couldn't learn or enjoy it.

I strongly suggest you vary your approaches to search for and discover those methods that will work and engage your Lab.

**anthropomorphize: To ascribe human characteristics to things not human.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748