What do you do when.....

Thread: What do you do when.....

DefaultWhat do you do when.....

your dog won't drop something you've told him to drop but instead he hunches down and proceeds to play a game of keep away? >

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you do when.....

Continue to solidify the 'LEAVE IT!' command and be prepared for a trade-off (giving the dog something suitable in 'trade' of the item he has).

I agree with Trickster. Also do not play keepaway. Do not chase him. It only reinforces that it is a game. It took me a long time but now when I say "Drop It." Nellie drops whatever she has in her mouth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Continue to solidify the 'LEAVE IT!' command and be prepared for a trade-off (giving the dog something suitable in 'trade' of the item he has).
    That's what we do too.

Tried the "trade off" and not playing keep away, but the chocolate milk carton this morning was just to tasty.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by duckbnot
    Tried the "trade off" and not playing keep away, but the chocolate milk carton this morning was just to tasty.

;D ;D ;D
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

If Maggie will not drop it, I make her sit and stay and then I say "drop it" again. If she won't drop it, I walk over to her and put my hand on the back of her neck and say "drop it" and she will then drop it. Then I re-inforce with "Good Girl". I will give her a treat.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by duckbnot
    at times like these, one has to just give up on the item and plan to train for next time, so that if it happens again, your dog's response is to spit out the object when he hears "DROP IT!"

i practiced DROP IT a lot with my dogs. the goal being that the dog was dropping items of their own free will. at first, i used tasty treats to have them learn that dropping things when i say, DROP IT, is highly rewarding. i used food as a lure at first, just to get the behavior started. then, hid the food or put it somewhere else, so when they gave the right response to DROP IT, i presented the reward or walked to the treat jar to reward them. it's very important to present the reward only after the correct response is given. that way, they get used to doing things without seeing/smelling the potential prize.

after a lot of repetitions, the dogs just got in the habit of spitting out items when they hear DROP IT. they don't even think about what to do, they just do it, because that's what they got used to doing. it become a conditioned response, and it is very reliable now. of course, i always try to remember to praise them and give them a reward if one is available.

when someone tries to train DROP IT by forcing the dog to spit out the object, usually the dog just learns that DROP IT means drop it when the human can touch them. so, in a situation where the dog is out of reach, they might ignore the verbal cue. when dogs are trained to drop items in confined or close proximity, then that's what they are going to learn, and in a situation of distance or off leash freedom, a "fun" game of chase might happen instead.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford