Flexi's -- love them or hate them?

View Poll Results: Flexi's -- love them or hate them?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love my Flexi and use it all the time for my dog/s.

7 16.67%
  • I like Flexi's and use one often for my dog/s.

5 11.90%
  • I have a Flexi and use in now and then when needed.

12 28.57%
  • I don't use a Flexi for my dog/s and don't intend to.

6 14.29%
  • I'm indifferent -- if they are used correctly, I don't care one way or the other.

5 11.90%
  • I hate Flexi's with passion. They should be banned!

7 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexi's -- love them or hate them?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultFlexi's -- love them or hate them?

Well...?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Flexi's -- love them or hate them?

I love them but hate idiots who do not know how to properly use them!
    Kim

If used properly I think there are good places where they come in handy. I don't currently have or use one for any of our dogs but did with Mocha when she was younger and I lived in an appartment. It gave her some room to walk around without me having to go that far yet gave me some control over her. We use 6' leads now since we are just going on a walk around the neighborhood and there is no need for them to roam really.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Love it but echo the comment(s) above that it takes a whole different level of training (both human and canine) to be used safely.

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

I have no manual dexterity and am not a fan of them. And yes, it takes a while to learn how to use them properly. I use a regular leash for our neighborhood walks with the dogs. I'm not fast enough with the button to keep them under control in a small area (ie sidewalk with aggressive german shepherd heading our way.)The flexi is used only when we go hiking in the woods and I want to let them roam further and sniff away.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

I love them for airing my dogs at shows, trials, hotels (places I shouldn't let them off leash). I HATE them being used by stupid people....if your dog can't walk/listen on a 4 or 6ft leash, please don't put it on a flexi!!

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I have a Flexi for Lexi that I walk her on almost all the time. She is one who loves to sniff & explore as we walk, so the Flexi is a must. If we are walking and encounter a person, I bring the lead in short, so she can not get close to the person. She knows the "heel" & "wait" commands, so we do pretty good.

The other advantage I have is we walk either very early in the morning (6:30 am most mornings) & there aren't typically a lot of people or canines out that early. Of course there are kids waiting for their school buses, but she's made friends with just about everyone of them.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    I love them for airing my dogs at shows, trials, hotels (places I shouldn't let them off leash). I HATE them being used by stupid people....if your dog can't walk/listen on a 4 or 6ft leash, please don't put it on a flexi!!
    I haven't been to a show in a long time, but I remember seeing a number of Call for Entries with the notation NO FLEXIs.

labwrangler is offline Senior Member

I use a Flexi with Bella, but she walks very well, will come to heel when asked, and can be controlled by just a gentle tension on the leash. She also has no urge to chase anything when we're walking - cats, rabbits, squirrels, etc. If we're walking in tight quarters I give her only a short length of leash and keep her at heel. All this good behavior took a long time to accomplish - if I had a younger dog that pulled or still needed a very firm hand, I'd use a regular leash for extra control.

Alfred (aka Freddy), May 2010

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I use one with Kody when we hike or go to the beach. Any where that I want to give him more room to explore yet maintain that control. Other than that we use a 6' leash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast