I need some advice/help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice/help

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

DefaultI need some advice/help

I have two labs a 4 yo femal and 2 yo male. They eat a good quality holistic food and I put a bit of pumpkin on it (for the past month and a half) to prevent the scooting (thanks for that tip guys!) they are outside a lot and get lots of attention and exercise. they are no longer crated andwe have no problems with them getting into anything.

Here's the problem. About three weeks ago I came home and as I walked into the bathroom adn one of them had vomited - it was mainly watery bile but was also tinged a bit pink. I called the vet and explained they said to just keep an eye on him and if there were any other problems to bring him in but it didn't seem like anything to worry about then. Both of them were fine and normal that night.

More that a week later we wake up at 5am to Finn (our male) heaving. He proceeds to throw up a bily substance but again pink tinged - twice. About two minutes later Sunshine (our female) then throws up bile but no pink in it. The next morning Finn does the same thing and again it is tinged pink. Knowing from a previous dog I owned that this can happen if they haven't eaten and may be hungry I just made sure he was getting a bit more food thinking he may be going through a growth spurt (he is starting to widen quite a bit lately). So instead of the two and half cups at each feeding he is now getting three.

It has been almost two weeks since this has happened I thought we were all good - there has been no sign of illness or feeling poorly on either dogs part. Well this mornign at 6:15 I woke up to Finn Heaving again (boy is it loud and painful sounding!) Again it was a small puddle of bile and bit pink tinged again. I put him out and then gave him s ome food to settle the stomach and he was fine. he didnt' get sick and he had a poop and pee then when hubby fed them at 8:30 he had another poop (normal for him to go right after eating) and he seems fine.

It is not blood and it is not huge amounts of bile and it is only "tinged" pink there is no blood and it is not red. We have a larger property and we do watch but I'm sure he gets into things but right now it is all snow covered - there are no rocks or sticks or anything for him to chew.

Other information that may be pertinent: His annual check up and shots are in May so he is up to date, we do not routinely vaccinate for Kennel Cough, We do vaccinate for leptospirosis and Lymes. One other thing he is a crap eater - we have tried forbid a number of times and it did not work now we just tellhim to leave it when we catch him - he is not consistent in fact I thought he was over it for a while and then he started again.

Any information i can get form you guys woudl be great - I jsut want to see if anyone else has a experienced this or has any idea what could be causing this and do you think I need to go to the vet. They said no at first and he seems to be fine - I dont' really know what they can do for him even if we do bring him in - it may not happen again, it may happen in a few weeks or it could happen tomorrow mornign - there is no rhyme or reason to it. Nothing has changed on the nights before this happens.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I need some advice/help

Are you still on the same bag of food? If so, maybe switch bags and see if it continues. Also, they will sometimes throw up bile with empty stomach syndrome. Try feeding a few cookies before bedtime and see if it helps. I have a puker that will throw up if/when she grazes in the grass too long, but it's normally got grass in with the bile.

Are both getting the same food? Maybe try a different bag to see if there is something off.
    It could also be empty stomach. Jenica started to throw up bile nightly a couple of months ago. Since then we started to give her a larger treat before going to bed and it has not happened again. We are doing the same with Diesel.
    I hope you can find out what is going on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The food ia new bag as of last week - I never thought of that though so will be keeping that in mind for future.

After the second moringin in a row we did the snack at night thing and it seemed okay and we gradually shifted to just more food at meals.

i thought it to be just the empty stomach syndrome too but the pink tinge is what is getting me - I've only ever seen bile come up yellow/brown/green to be distinctly pink scares me a bit but I over analyse so I know not to react right away.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I would consider going back to crating just to see if he does continue to vomit, if it is pink. I wonder if while out in the house there is something the dog is getting into that your just not aware of - they are so clever that way.
    I've seen my dogs poo out stuff I KNOW, I swear, did not exhist in my house!
    Kim

If Finn or Sunshine gets into anything it is very noticable! He is not delicate shall we say ;D - this dog can't even get a toy out of the basket without knocking at three of them out. I have searched the house to see if there is anything he had been into and no where is there signs of him even being near anything. I forgot to add they have limited access within the house via babygates.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

It sounds exactly like what Shadow did when her stomach was empty for too long. I got an automatic feeder so she got an early dinner, and then gave her green beans before bed at night. She ate approximately every 8 hours and that worked perfectly.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

So I really shouldn't worry that it is pinkish and just make sure he has a snack before bed - that is much better than a vet bill! If it continues even after changing the pattern I'll reconsider. Thanks everyone!

Clarence vomited pink tinged bile a few months ago, several times. He had a nasty intestinal bug (he wasn't acting normal at all). The vet also told us the color wasn't anything to be concerned about, she said that something may have irritated his throat and if it was a bit of blood, it would be from that, not from something more serious. Maybe he ate something that scratched his throat a bit? Clarence had the empty tummy problem too when he was little...I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting a bedtime snack!

My concern is that it has been pink everytime and it has happened over a period of several weeks so that would logically say it was not an irritated/scrtched throat as it wouldn't be that way every time over that period of time would it?

As for the snack - well - they are labs - I don't think time of day is of any concern to them as long as they get treats and snacks! ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast