It's called RETRIEVE...NOT Keep Away

Thread: It's called RETRIEVE...NOT Keep Away

DefaultIt's called RETRIEVE...NOT Keep Away

Bogey has been retrieving balls and sticks and such since we brought him home. Usually he comes straight to you and you tell him drop or give, and after a little prying of the mouth, you have your object back in your hand. Well...my daughter has been messing around with him and chasing him while he still has the ball in his mouth, so now...that is all he wants to do is play keep away. He dodges and turns and rolls...does whatever it takes to keep you from getting him, all the while holding on to the ball/stick. How can I correct this? The only thing that has worked is turning around and going inside and leaving him...at which point he comes to the back door, stick in mouth, and drops it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: It's called RETRIEVE...NOT Keep Away

The only thing that has worked is turning around and going inside and leaving him...at which point he comes to the back door, stick in mouth, and drops it.
    You got it figured out. When they do that...game over...just turn around and ignore them. Eventually they will get the message that you are not gonna fight them for the ball.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Trade for a treat. Associate it with a command, "drop" or "leave it." He'll catch on.
    Katie and Boo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Novarobin is offline Senior Member

That is Chatham's favorite game as well. Our German Shepherd lives to play fetch. Chatham thinks its more fun to have Kaper chase him. I swear he knows it drives poor Kaper crazy. If Kaper tries to ignore him, he runs over with it as if to show him, then runs away, looking to see if Kaper is chasing. Its hard to correct it with my two because even if I ignore him, he gets his reward by Kaper chasing him.

Good luck and if it you can't fix it, keep away is fun too. And you will get some excercise as well. ;D

Chatham ~ chocolate Labrador Retriever
    Kaper ~ German Shepherd
    Hary ~ German Shepherd

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You can tie a 30' kite string (or other line) to a retrieving toy and when he runs adter it and grabs it, you can reel toy and Lab back and exchange a treat for the toy.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yep, I agree with zoezoe: You got it.

You don't want to play my way? OK, game over. ;D

The more you chase, the more you "reward" the keep-away behavior.

ETA: There was one time I fell prey to being the chaser in this game. > We were having playtime at a friend's house. Her dog was allowed to have rawhides. Angus is not, because he is just too big a risk (gulper). Their dog chews them for a while, then buries them.

Well, Angus found a buried rawhide. OMG. It was like crack for dogs. Even though he KNOWS "Drop it" and "Leave it," he was not about to give up this most wonderful find. I was terrified he was going to start swallowing at any moment. I chased him around for a few minutes before catching myself and realizing my mistake. I turned around and marched towards the back door of their house. Angus followed right on my heels...he will never be so interested in something that he would risk being left in a backyard when he could instead be in a house. The friend's husband was able to wrench it out of his mouth. : Not one of our finer moments.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever