Another Inside / Outside !!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Inside / Outside !!

DefaultAnother Inside / Outside !!

Hi everyone!
    First of all, let me just thank you for that board...been really helpful to us!

Little infos : Zia is a 5 months old female choco. She's doing really great, housebroken and knows basic commands. She is crate at night except when I'm not home...sleeps with gf in the bed! She gets two 20 to 30 minutes walk a day and we play fetch a couple of times a day on top of that.

We have her since she was 2 months. So last three months I've mostly been working from home so she is hanging in the house with me, sleeping, playing and whining for attention. :

In about 3 weeks I'll start a new job, normal hours 8 to 5, 5 days a week, just like my gf. So we won't be home for 8-9.5 hours every week days. It's going to be sad for me and Zia at first...

So I was wondering about setting a nice outside kennel in the shade for her to stay in the day. I read a lot on this subject on this board and I know that the majority prefer having their dogs inside. I agree. She will still be inside as soon as we are home unless we are playing and walking. Sleeping inside at night. Since I'm living up north, it would only be 3 seasons and she would still be living inside or in the garage (heated) during winter.

I'm just thinking it might be less boring (not fun anyway I know) for her to be outside during the day. She won't have to hold her pee for 8 hours, it might be easier for a neighbour to come play with her or walk her.

So my options are : outside kennel, room in the house lab-proof, house crate or kennel in the garage. I just don't understand why she would be more bored outside versus inside. Any thoughts?

Thanks again
    [img][/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another Inside / Outside !!

I think that if you can make sure that the outside kennel is completely and totally secure (meaning she can't get out, and people can't get in to take her - because you never know) then I would leave her outside on weather-appropriate days and inside the lab-proof room other days.

To help alleviate boredom, make sure she is well exercised in the morning before you leave, and maybe leave her with a stuffed frozen kong and some nylabones to keep her occupied.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Welcome!! Your girl is very pretty! Where do you live (I'm just curious).

She's old enough to be inside in her crate for 8 hours at a time. That's the safest option for her. She won't be bored if you give her a kong and/or nylabones for her. Don't put her in the crate with anything she can chew up or destroy.

*edited* because I put a "?" instead of a "!" after the pretty girl comment. ;D

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Honestly, if she's properly exercised before you leave for work, she's not going to do anything but sleep anyways, so why not crate her? My Rookie is crated (Rider is not), but I go home for lunch. They literally sleep all day...and are ready to play when I get home. But if I kenneled them outside, they'd dig and be just as bored and wondering why they were no longer inside. But that is my boys. I am pretty protective of them, so I wouldn't want anyone to have any type of opportunity to steal them.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Welcome!! Your girl is very pretty? Where do you live (I'm just curious).

She's old enough to be inside in her crate for 8 hours at a time. That's the safest option for her. She won't be bored if you give her a kong and/or nylabones for her. Don't put her in the crate with anything she can chew up or destroy.

Thanks!

Nowhere near the beaches! Close to Montreal, Qc

I would crate her. Mocha's was crated for 9 1/2 hours during the day after she was about 5-6 months old and did fine. As long as she gets some exercise before and after work she slept all day anyway.
    Too many things can go wrong outside from someone taking her to her getting out and running away to people putting things in her kennel or bad weather.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

There is no way I would leave a dog outside during the workday. Maybe I'm a Nervous Norman, but I wouldn't.

I would do in your shoes what I did in ours: Used the crate. Enrolled in obed classes to teach house-manners. Taught Wes what we expected from him while we were home and while we were gone. And gradually left him with the run of the house.

I know for some super-hyper Lab-clowns this doesn't always work. But I'd at least start off this way and let Zia's responses dictate future freedoms/limitations.

Wow,
    thanks for the fast replies!

From your replies and the threads I previously read on the subject, theft seems to be an important part of the reasoning of letting the dog in the crate or at least inside. Even if you cannot be absolutely 100% sure, I'm really not afraid of a that and I wouldn't base my decision on that point.

Probably because I see her all day long (and she ain't sleeping more than 3 or 4 hours in the day) roaming around the house and playing that I find it hard to leave her in her crate for 9 hours everyday. Even if I know it's a safe place and she likes it.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reset
    Wow,
    thanks for the fast replies!

From your replies and the threads I previously read on the subject, theft seems to be an important part of the reasoning of letting the dog in the crate or at least inside. Even if you cannot be absolutely 100% sure, I'm really not afraid of a that and I wouldn't base my decision on that point.

Probably because I see her all day long (and she ain't sleeping more than 3 or 4 hours in the day) roaming around the house and playing that I find it hard to leave her in her crate for 9 hours everyday. Even if I know it's a safe place and she likes it.
    Your dog, your decision obviously. But theft is, IMHO, one of only a zillion things that could go wrong with an unattended dog outside alone.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

You will find most people recommend keeping the dog inside. We all have house dogs and it is much safer inside (yes, there are many stories of dogs stolen from yards). crating them isn't a mean thing as they tend to just sleep during the day. it is really the best solution.

My first thought is to wait until your girl is spayed. I have seen my own male, before he was neutered, do CRAZY things to escape the yard. He scaled his outside kennel fence (6ft chain link) then got out of the fenced yard (over 6ft). even adding a roof did not stop him.

I think on nice days, with adequate shelter/protection from the elements, in a safe enclosure (no one can get in and out) AFTER SHE IS SPAYED, you can start leaving her outside on nice days. nice meaning not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter (I wouldn't start just yet, it's still abit cold).

What type of kennel were you thinking of building?
    Chain link is best. But you need to consider the ground (sand/dirt/grass they can dig out of) and the roof. Would the kennel be inside your fenced yard?

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast