Neurotic dog???

Thread: Neurotic dog???

TwoLabs is offline Member

DefaultNeurotic dog???

My husband has trained Clancy not to eat his supper until given the okay. He also taught him to hold a treat on his nose until told okay, then he tosses it in the air and eats it. He's gotten really funny about the whole thing. If he doesn't think he's been made to wait long enough, he won't eat, just pokes his nose in his dish until you tell him okay enough times. He will also hold treats in his mouth until he thinks enough time has passed. :

Today, Clancy was whimpering and whining, so I went to see what was up. He had a dog biscuit which he dropped at my feet. He would not touch it until I balanced it on his nose and made him wait for an okay. Minutes later, he came with a second treat and needed the same balance/wait/okay routine. I later found out, he was flitching them from the large bucket in the laundry room, which he'd gotten the lid off of! So, is he neurotic, or just had a guilty conscience nagging him? ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Neurotic dog???

He's just hungry. ;D

I don't know what to tell you. He just sounds like a really well-trained dog who won't eat without the commands he's used to. Sort of along the same lines, Cooper was trained from a pup that when we eat supper, he has to go to his crate or his blanket. It's to the point now that as soon as we go to eat, even if it's breakfast, he just goes on his bed. We never tell him anymore, it's just something he does on autopilot.

I think it's funny your guy was stealing cookies from the bucket! Cute!

Bev.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I vote for guilty conscience!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I vote SMART DOG! ;D

Very smart dog!!!!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Just how many treats did he have to bring you before you figured out he was trying to tell you the cover was off the treat cache? How many did that poor dog have to eat before you got the message. Good boy, Clancy!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

TwoLabs is offline Member

He only brought me two. Maybe he gobbled a bunch more before he got to feeling guilty! ;D

He is a smart boy. He's only 8 months old and has learned so much!

No he's a very smart dog. LOL. Great story.