The strength of a labs love (7 pictures) UPDATE
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The strength of a labs love (7 pictures) UPDATE

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe strength of a labs love (7 pictures) UPDATE

I deal with it day in and day out. The lame excuses, the stupid reasons people give for getting rid of their dogs. I have come to expect it from each phone call. Then every once in a while there comes a call that just floors me. One of those calls came about a month ago.

Katherine, who is with Friends of Simpson Shelter in Franklin KY called to ask if I could help a pup they had there. After talking a while I said I would take the pup after his case of kennel cough had cleared up. The pup went into a foster home for a couple weeks and fortunately was adopted without the need to make the long trip north to me. When Katherine called to give me the good news, she told me about a yellow lab who had won the hearts of everyone at the shelter. Her name is Sunny and she had been there for several months.

As we talked I quickly pulled up the shelters website to see her picture. She is a wonderful 2 year old yellow girl with a sparkle in her eye and an odd smile on her face. Katherine proceeded to tell me that Sunny was the perfect dog. Good with people, kids, other dogs and even cats. Very calm and with some basic training. She was almost out of time there and they where running low on space for new dogs to come in. They had been saving her and stalling for as long as they could, and now Sunny was in real danger of being put down. My question was "WHY?, she is a great girl that has everything anyone could want" That is when my mouth drooped and almost hit the floor.

This beautiful girl with the bright eyes and smiling face had been beaten in the head with a pipe or a baseball bat. The injury was old and they where not sure how or when it had happened, but the damage was obvious once Katherine pointed it out to me.

If you look at Sunny's face, her nose is not centered as it should be. Her lower jaw is also shifter to the opposite side that her nose has moved.

Because of this her mouth does not close properly. Also she has some damage to the bones of her face and skull. The orbital bone of her right eye is broken and sunken in, sa well as some obvious sinus damage that causes her to snork and snuffle when she gets excited or breathes hard.

This is about as good as her mouth ever closes. She tends to be a little sloppy when she eats because of the alignment, but she is also happy to clean up after herself when her bowl is empty. Drinking water is a bit messy too.

Even after all that she has been through, she is still happy to lay on Maggie's couch and let me give her belly rubs.

Beaten, dumped at the pound, forgotten by everyone who walked through looking for the "perfect" dogs with no love except the shelter volunteers for months, she still has the spirit of a loving lab. How can a dog who has been treated this way still love so deeply the animals that have done this to her? I have had dogs all my life, but I have never known how much love they can have until I got my first lab. I have said it so many times, if you let a Labrador into your life, they will change your heart.

It is MY honor to have Sunny here with me, and I will find her that perfect family that will give her the life she deserves and has earned. Sadly, in Kentucky, there is probably already another terrific dog just like Sunny that has taken her place at the shelter. THANK YOU Katherine for all the work you do and for seeing how special Sunny is.

UPDATE 2/19/2008

Woke up this morning and checked my emails. This was the first one that came up ;D

WOW, my wife and daughters just read Sunny's story and were all moved. Yes, we want to meet Sunny as soon as possible. I know you know very little about us - but we were very anxious to meet both you and Sunny. What a smile she has. Let me know some times and dates and we'll make the trip.
    Thanks again.
    DJ
    Looks like Sunny may not have to spen too much time at camp Joe after all. Happy tears for a special girl!
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The strength of a labs love (7 pictures)

Oh Joe - I don't know what to say - she is such a beautiful girl, and you are such a beautiful soul.

::thumbs up:: shes a cutie!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

She is beautiful and it sounds like she is just as beautiful on the inside. I think she has a great smile and some family is going to be very lucky to get to share their lives with her!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm in tears. I will NEVER understand some people. Sunny looks like a sweet, sweet girl! I have no doubt that she will make some lucky family very happy!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Aww, what a sweet girl! Prayers that you can find her a loving home.

Brookville, Pa.

budbud is offline Senior Member

Joe,
    I'm sure you will find her the perfect forever home just thinking about what she must have had to endure just floors me and like you said she is still one very happy girl I'm glad she is with you her spirt just shines thru

oh what a beautiful girl you have there she is so beautiful. what A beautiful soul you have for taking the time to find her for ever home and she knows it will be a great one.

Crying here. People are such bastards. She looks like an angel.

God Bless her and you, Joe! Thank you for all you do.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast