Really Need Help With This

Thread: Really Need Help With This

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultReally Need Help With This

I posted this once before but only got 1 answer. Can anyone else help?

Twice today I've had to break up a major squabble between my dogs. This morning I gave all three of them a Booda Bone. Parker of course chows his down, Linus my aussie shep, eats his, but my old girl, Sally just sort of chews here and there, sort of like a kid with a sucker. Well this does not sit well with Parker and of course he moves in for the steal at which point a major rucus with biting snarling growling ensue. I get them separated and put Sally with her chewie in my daughter's room by herself.

Later my husband absentmindedly scraped some little treat stick on the floor and again a major scuffle ensued.

I managed to pull Parker away and get everyone calm What should I do in situations like this? Should I not give treats, should I put someone by themself or what. Also I am thinking maybe my old girl's teeth care not what they used to be and she has a hard time chewing things. Is there a chewy treat made for older dogs that she might be able to handle better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Really Need Help With This

If Sally's being slow seems to be the catalyst, I would put her in a room by herself to enjoy her treat in peace. If Parker is the problem, I would separate him, or else not give treats when all three are together.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Can you crate them when you give them treats? At the least you have to separate them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

No expert here, but I will relate a story and the action we took.

My son's dog is food agressive. The day we brought HK home he was here and we had a severe incident to make a long story short. These two dogs are now best friends, but we took the following actions. First we presented all kinds of conflict situations with any food or treat involved. No chew treat of any kind. They got along great. We treated them, training treats, side by side making sure each ate theirs completely before letting them look at each other. This went well. When feeding them during meal time visits, we had them in separate rooms until both were done. We advanced that to feeding them together, but with someone in between the two. Newman would make occassional growls but it went well. We have gotten to the point (they are together at meal time about once a month) where we can feed them with their bowels about 3 feet apart and being watched carefully, but without anyone in between them.

I would think that you have to do something similar, with the focus on, no treats unsupervised, and no contact between them until the treats are gone. That is what I would do unless you can identify some other stimuls for the situation.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Food guarding between dogs is not uncommon, especially when it is a "high value" item like a treat.

If it's easier for you to seperate them than I'd just do that. If the problem is Sally feeling crowded/threatened and you think you could supervise her to maintain a perimeter, then I would do that. It's a great training exercise.

With my guys, I have made it clear from the get-go that you eat what you are given and nothing else. There is no food/treat stealing. They know which bowl is theirs and will eat out of that. If I give them cookies I will always supervise to make sure there's no thieving happening. olice:

This has created a scenario where the dogs are relaxed around food, because they know I won't let anyone touch what's theirs so they don't have to worry about losing it. (it also keeps the cat food safe so that it can be eaten by the cats! )

Good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

sloigo is offline Senior Member

Daisy is our alpha & when anything with food value is concerned A BULLY! (said with love) When anything that MAY remotely cause a tiff, Daisy HAPPILY goes in her crate, Piglet in one room & Kiana in another. Kiana & Piglet are not locked or blocked but will usually behave & stay occupied with their treat. If we would have a foster who would be a slow eater, they would be crated till they were finished or till they lost interest (if they lost interest, I would put it up till next time & give it to that same dog again). The other solution would be to give her a easier softer treat. Perhaps practicing "leave it" would help. Starting with one dog at a time during practice sessions? At least if a fight starts you may have some control BEFORE you step in.
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Food guarding between dogs is not uncommon, especially when it is a "high value" item like a treat.

If it's easier for you to seperate them than I'd just do that. If the problem is Sally feeling crowded/threatened and you think you could supervise her to maintain a perimeter, then I would do that. It's a great training exercise.

With my guys, I have made it clear from the get-go that you eat what you are given and nothing else. There is no food/treat stealing. They know which bowl is theirs and will eat out of that. If I give them cookies I will always supervise to make sure there's no thieving happening. olice:

This has created a scenario where the dogs are relaxed around food, because they know I won't let anyone touch what's theirs so they don't have to worry about losing it. (it also keeps the cat food safe so that it can be eaten by the cats! )

Good luck!
    This is what I have done with my two and again with any foster dog that comes into the home and I have to be honest that it has not been a problem. If you establish right from the get go that there will be no treat/food stealing then all dogs should calm down because they know that that is not going to be tolerated.

Good luck

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    Can you crate them when you give them treats? At the least you have to separate them.
    That sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    We have gotten to the point (they are together at meal time about once a month) where we can feed them with their bowels about 3 feet apart and being watched carefully, but without anyone in between them.
    Okay, this seriously cracked me up!! ;D What the hell happens with their bowels at meal time that no one can stand between them? HAHAHA

I would start by separating them at treat time. You've been given good advice, I just posted because the bowel thing tickled my sick funny bone. ;D

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CindersMyGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    We have gotten to the point (they are together at meal time about once a month) where we can feed them with their bowels about 3 feet apart and being watched carefully, but without anyone in between them.
    Okay, this seriously cracked me up!! ;D What the hell happens with their bowels at meal time that no one can stand between them? HAHAHA

I would start by separating them at treat time. You've been given good advice, I just posted because the bowel thing tickled my sick funny bone. ;D
    Some day I will learn how to type. But I doubt that day will come soon. Not going to edit the correction. Must have hit two keys at the same time, they are right next to each other. ;D excuses, excuses
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.