Im "over-protective" and more rant about roommate(sorta)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im "over-protective" and more rant about roommate(sorta)

DefaultIm "over-protective" and more rant about roommate(sorta)

So my roommate (the B some of you remember me ranting about before) is coming around in the fact that she doesnt tell me how to raise my dog any more. Well, I've been teaching Oscar not to beg and table-surf (we have a low coffee table and sometimes eat in the living room.). Im sure you can see where this is going. She invites some douche-bag she works with over to hang out and have a couple beers. Oscar hadd just eaten dinner and we had ordered a pizza. I went upstairs, took a shower, and the pizza was here and it was just the douchebag eating on the couche (GF and RM were in kitchen). I see her chihuahua begging but dont see oscar. Coming more down the stairs I saw Oscar on the ground chewing a BIG-ASS PEICE OF CRUST!!! That did it. You dont go into somebodies house, who youve never met, and start feeding their puppy table scraps. I said" Im teaching him not to beg, please dont feed him any more table scraps." and the a-hole had the nerve to say "well, hes not begging" and as soon as he said that Oscar had the last bite of crust and sat and begged him right in front of me. Some peoples children, I swear...

(/rant)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Im "over-protective" and more rant about roommate(sorta)

You are in a difficult position. You are trying to do right by your dog and you are being undermined by others. My only suggestion is when you can't keep eyes on him yourself, take him with you, even if it's just to the bathroom or out to the kitchen. Otherwise when you have company you may just want to announce right up front that you would appreciate them not feeding your dog anything without your permission first. Sometimes you have to train people along with your dog. :

Quote Originally Posted by rushpuppy
    You are trying to do right by your dog and you are being undermined by others. Sometimes you have to train people along with your dog. :
    YES! and YES! Im glad Im not the crazy one...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

As was stated before, you're not going to be able to control the roommate or guests. So you MUST control your puppy. Tether him to your belt, and then you'll be able to quickly remove him from 'interference'.

Banging your head against this wall is only going to give you a migraine...

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Yep, since you clearly can't punch your roommate or her friends in the face, do the next best thing and take your pup with you at all times. You really can't trust people ,and the sooner you learn that, the better.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I only trust my gf and myself with my dog. That and my best friend (hes like my brother and knows how I train my dog[as he does the same with his]).

But when he's downstairs either I or she looks after him. It was just a small lapse in attention.

That and when neither of us are home and he's in his crate, the RM will take him out and let him do whatver, then bitches about him peeing in her room or chewing. As stated in earlier posts.

Sorry for the rant, this stuff really irks me though..

Unfortunatly it's much easier to train the dog than the people around them. I wish there was more you could do but there isn't other than move out
    Jumping is our biggest problem as everyone that comes in the house gets that happy voice and bends down to greet the dogs and guess what they jump up : Not much I can do other than leash them and keep them by my side until they have calmed down a bit.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillV341
    I only trust my gf and myself with my dog. That and my best friend (hes like my brother and knows how I train my dog[as he does the same with his]).

But when he's downstairs either I or she looks after him. It was just a small lapse in attention.

That and when neither of us are home and he's in his crate, the RM will take him out and let him do whatver, then bitches about him peeing in her room or chewing. As stated in earlier posts.

Sorry for the rant, this stuff really irks me though..
    Put the crate in your room. That way, if the roommate lets him out - you can smack her for being in your room!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am going along with Jackie's suggestion...put the crate in your room. It's hard when other people, especially a roomate undermine your training. Our older son does that with allowing the girls to jump on him. >, then I have to work twice as hard after he leaves because they think they can now jump on everyone. :

Good luck. Yes, it's sometimes harder to train the people than the dogs.

The crate IS in my room, but my roomate and gf are BFF and sh*t...

She goes in and lets him out to take him for a walk, but she thinks she can just ignore it like her chihuahua and then... pee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast