1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that BEFORE you get me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3. Place your trust in me, it is crucial to my well being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, entertainment and friends. I have only YOU.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget.
7. Please don't hit me. I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don't want to do that.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak!
9. Take care of me when I get old. You will get old too.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. NEVER say, "I can't bear to watch, or let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if your are there. And always remember, I LOVE YOU!