Service dog question

Thread: Service dog question

kym

DefaultService dog question

I didn't know where to post this, as it may not be lab related, but i thought someone here might be able to help. My sister lost her sense of smell years ago. She can't smell anything. This scares me more than it does her, I think. This weekend she told me she met a guy who also lost his sense of smell. Now, I'm sure she's not going to marry this guy or anything, but it got me thinking. If she were to be with him, then that's a couple that can't smell. I always just figured she would be with someone who could smell and therefore be able to detect things like fire or gas leaks. So, my question is, does anyone out there know how one goes about applying for a service dog, or if this even qualifies? I know it's not nearly as bad as blindness or deafness, but it can be life threatening. Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Service dog question

Service dogs can be trained to assist for any disability. Here's a good link to start:
    http://www.wolfpacks.com/serviced.htm

kaytris is offline Senior Member

When is her birthday? I'd be getting her smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors first and foremost...

Interesting question though... I would imagine it would be possible to teach a dog to alert to a smell or a number of smells.. this is the job of narcotics, explosives and customs dogs, among others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kym

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    When is her birthday? I'd be getting her smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors first and foremost...

Interesting question though... I would imagine it would be possible to teach a dog to alert to a smell or a number of smells.. this is the job of narcotics, explosives and customs dogs, among others.

hehe, yeah, she has those, thank goodness, however, she is also deaf in one ear and i know those are loud, but you never know.....

thanks for the link