Bathing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathing

DefaultBathing

I'm in the process of looking for a dog to adopt from the humane society. I posted a shopping list I had, which included puppy shampoo. Then I read on the site that your not sopposed to give labs a bath because it destroys natural oils. Is this right? Won't the dog start to stink after awhile if I don't clean him? If I do give him a bath, how often should I do it? Bear with me here. I've had dogs growing up my whole life, so I know a lot, but I 've never had a lab before, so it's a learning experience.

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bathing

Neither of my pups ever had a bath except when they rolled in fox poop.

There again I love their dog smell except when they are wet

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Giving your Lab a bath very occasionally won't hurt, but it is not really necessary. You will find that most people on this forum don't bath their dogs unless they roll in something particularly gross -- me included.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I guess I am the exception on the board. I give mine a bath when they start leaving brown rings where they lay. :-\ Which usually is about every two months or so. I do use a mild, watered down oatmeal shampoo made just for dogs. And I am very careful to rinse, rinse, rinse!!! They seem to stay cleaner in the summer--when they swim a lot. If they just get muddy, I just rinse them with water and towel dry.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

I've had to bathe Jonah 2 times after he was sick and it got on him :-X

I was surprised that for the most part as routine, just a good hose down and towel dry works great (even after playing at the beach all day or running around and getting all slobbery from other dogs)! I've hosed him down probably once a month.

Tundra Aries Guest

I only give them a bath maybe once a year.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK at 13 months has never had a bath, i.e. soap of any kind.

One case of diarhea in her crate, hosed off, and maybe some handscrubbing to make sure, then another hose off. (Summer event, probably a bath inside if it happened in MN in Januray)

A run into the wetland in late summer and coming out stinky and dirty, hosed down before being allowed in the house.

Lots of opportunity to go swimming during the no ice seasons.

Other than that, no bath of any kind, and she doesn't smell.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Our yellow boy, Champ, was bathed often before we got him. It ruined his coat AND made him stink! :-X When we got him from his previous owner, the guy apologized for his smell and said he hadn't been bathed in over a week. After a month, there was no more smell, thought I doubt his coat will ever be a true Lab coat. Neither dog gets bathed now, but will get a quick rinse with the hose if necessary. Other than that, if they get wet and slobbery from playing bitey-face, a quick brush after they dry and they're good to go, no smell.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Henry has been full-out bathed (with shampoo) maybe 3 or 4 times in his life... he's almost 5. He doesn't stink.

He gets rinsed off with clean water after he swims in the summer, but that's about it.

Nellie is about 6 and I've only bathed her once. Good brushing is all they need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast