Some people are wound too tight!! (Sorry kind of long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some people are wound too tight!! (Sorry kind of long)

DefaultSome people are wound too tight!! (Sorry kind of long)

So we have started Gordon in a puppy class. The instructor is really good and covers everything....not just sit, stay, etc. She talks about puppy behavior and points out body language to show you what she is talking about. She has worked/trained under both Jean Donaldson and Ian Dunbar and I really have enjoyed the couple of classes we have had so far.

There is only one other person/dog in the class a lady who owns some sort of an English cocker spaniel (a very beautiful dog but does look like a typical cocker spaniel). Anyway Heidi talked about experimenting with different treats to find out what are the "high" value treats for your dog. This lady brought a couple of different items but her dog was not interested or paying any attention to her. Heidi was trying to explain that sometimes treats that work at home won't in class and maybe she needed to try something like bits of roast beef, cheese, or hot dogs. This woman just became so angry at the suggestion ("I am not going to give my dog any human food") and it was really uncomfortable to have to watch she was rude towards the instructor. The instructor was not arguing with her she just wanted to understand where she was coming from and so she asked why. The woman said "I don't want the dog demanding a hot dog when I cook hot dogs for my niece" Heidi tried to tell her that wouldn't happen and that you never feed the dog at the table, yada, yada,yada. (Of course I am handing hot dogs to Gordon left and right while we work on our training). I offered to let her try one and she screamed at the both of us "No human food will ever touch my dog's mouth" I just said sorry and moved on with Gordon to keep practicing with him. Heidi was again trying to just give her rationale for her training methods and the woman said "Can we just move on I don't want to talk about it anymore". She kept trying to practice with the dog but the dog could have cared less about what she had for treats.

Then the instructor was trying to demonstrate "sit" and asked to borrow her dog. She showed how to do sit a couple of times and was going to show us one more time and the woman went over and grabbed the dog back and said "Can you just go instruct Gordon for a few minutes I would like to try and get my dogs attention on me" Then Heidi was talking about distractions and adding distractions and this woman said "Well you certainly are a distraction!".

I have to say the instructor handled it with a great deal of patience b/c this woman was so rude and really disruptive...I think if it had been a bigger class she might have asked her to leave. I can understand if you want your dog to eat a certain diet but she was just so rude and obnoxious from the minute Heidi was just trying to offer a suggestion or find out what her objection was.

Oh but the funny thing was she said her dog loves marrow bones and she gives them all the time....I just rolled my eyes b/c I wanted to say where the hell do you think roast beef comes from?? The same cow that you got that bone from lady!!

There is no class next week but I kind of hope that she doesn't come back to the next one b/c she just disagreed with everything our instructor said or suggested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Some people are wound too tight!! (Sorry kind of long)

What a rude, horrible biatch. Your instructor was WAY nicer than I would have been. What possesses anyone to behave in that way? If I were the instructor that woman would have been given the boot...I would NOT tolerate that kind of crap. >

People suck.

*steps off soapbox*

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Hoo boy, I agree - if I had been the instructor I would have told her that since she can't take instructions, she can leave. The door is thataway ~~>
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What a horrible woman. I guess I've been lucky. Every class I've taken my dogs to been wonderful.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    Hoo boy, I agree - if I had been the instructor I would have told her that since she can't take instructions, she can leave. The door is thataway ~~>
    The instructor should have after class quietly pulled her aside and given her a partial refund and said "obviously you feel you have nothing to learn from me please don't come back."

Quote Originally Posted by Sams Mom

The instructor should have after class quietly pulled her aside and given her a partial refund and said "obviously you feel you have nothing to learn from me please don't come back."
    I think she might have actually done that...we went across the street to get gas after leaving class and the woman was just leaving so it was a good 5 minutes or so after we had left. Who knows though maybe the woman had calmed down so she could talk rationally.

georgie is offline Senior Member

It seems your instructor is a very patient person. What a beotch that lady was.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Gah! What is her problem!?

We had a lady like that in one of the classes I assisted. She had this Vizsla that was just totally out of control. Totally. She was dragging this woman all over the place, bothering the other dogs (snarling!), wouldn't pay attention to ANYthing. It was the absolute worst case of ADD I've ever seen.

And she INSISTED on bringing this dog in on a flat collar. ??? Got very hostile at the mere suggestion that she *might* want to try a pinch collar. NO NO NO! They are cruel!

Ohhh-K. It's your shoulder. Have fun with that. :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Wow. What an entertaining/memorable class that was!!! For all the wrong reasons! Hope she stays home from now on. Gotta love people who take a class then won't take the directions given! Du-u-uh..... :

Good luck with Gordon's training! I always looked forward to the class we took Cooper to as a pup. I learned so much - oh, and so did Cooper! ;D

Bev.

what an idiot...I hope this is the last dog she owns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast