help! eating problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help! eating problem

justine is offline Senior Member

Defaulthelp! eating problem

Hi all.

I posted a question about Abbey's eating/not eating problem a few days ago. Basically she's a picky eater and refuses to eat for days until i give in and put in some meat/veggies/etc. she's always been kind of weird with food and takes it out of her dish and puts it on the rug and eats it from there.. almost like she doesn't want to eat it out of a big pile.

anyways, i gave her 2 cups of food three days ago at dinner, no mix ins, just plain. she didn't eat it so i took it away. the next morning, she got 1 cup. she didn't eat it. so at night, i gave her 1/2 cup and she didn't eat it. i left it there and she eventually ate a little bit of it. this morning i gave her about 1/4 cup, which is about how much she ate last night. she didn't eat it. tonight, she refused to eat anything. she's getting really thin and it's freaking me out!! so tonight i put some of her food out on her bed and she ate only a couple of pieces of kibble.

so help. how do i get her back to eating from here on out?!?!

Thank you thank you! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: help! eating problem

Have you had her vet checked? There may be a reason why she isn't eating. Does her breath smell ok? Could she have bad or loose teeth? Upset stomach? I would definitely have the vet check her out.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

kaytris is offline Senior Member

yep, vet check, and if that turns out fine, I'd get a small bag of the food she's used to, and try that.. you may have gotten a bad bag, or it may have gone off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i've been to three different vets and they all said it was a "training" issue, but i'm refusing to pay money for them to tell me she's fine. i've tried her on about 10 different foods and she's done the same thing. i mixed them together and all that so she wouldn't get an upset stomach.... her breath smells fine, her teeth are fine.. everything is good as far as her normal health is concerned. i'm just confused!!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Have they done any sort of bloodwork or other tests? You can't always tell if a dog is healthy by the outward signs.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

she's had all the normal bloodwork and everything done.. nothing came up. i think i'm taking her in to the vet next week for a checkup.. i dont know. she seems perfectly healthy, so i'm thinking it really is just something that has to do with her being a really picky eater.. because otherwise, she eats like a horse, just as long as i put meat in her food.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

You can get 'Iams gravy' that might pique her interest more.. also, my old girl is also a picky eater, and I just put a spoonful of canned food in her meals. No harm in it, and it gets her eating.. once she starts, she'll almost always finish her kibble.

Potter was a very picky eater for a while, too (his eventually cured itself when we switched his food). One trick we had was to take one of his training treats, show it to him, tell him to sit (or other training technique), and then crumble the treat up in with the food in the bowl. He'd start eating for the treat and then would eat the whole bowl. After a few times of this, he would be back to eating normally, thinking of food as a good thing.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

How old is she? I can remember my terrier doing this as a pup we kept changing her food she would eat it for a week then go off it...she never really changed until we got another dog and realised if she didnt eat it now the other dog would lol I def get vet to see her though might be a medical reason as to why but if she eats meat and veggies sounds like she is just being fussy

Allies Mom is offline Senior Member

I had a lab like this also. I used to mix some canned food in and that pretty much solved it. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast