Should i get a Lab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i get a Lab?

DefaultShould i get a Lab?

Hey wuz up? well my mom said i could get a new puppy this summer and ive always wanted a lab. But i just dont know if i will have the time to take care of it. If any one has any facts or any suggestions feel free to email me at [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Should i get a Lab?

Puppies, of ANY breed are a TON of work. They need LOTS and LOTS of time spent with them and training. I would suggest you do a lot of research about any breed you decide on. But first, be absolutley positive that you are commiting yourself to a lifelong project with any animal.

Good luck !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

what kind of time do you have? Being a kid. I'd say no.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Hi! Adding a puppy to your family is a wonderful experience! I take it you are still in school? I hope your parents are willing to back you up when school and social activities keep you from puppy care - chances are good that your parents will be picking up the slack when you're not home, so make sure they are as keen to add dog care to their chores as you are.

Have you considered adopting an adult dog? Many breeders will have 'retired' show dogs or breeding dogs that need new homes, and of course shelters and rescue groups are full of young adult dogs needing a new family to love. (Incidentally, black dogs are often the last to be adopted, so you have a good chance of finding a nice black lab or lab mix in a shelter or a lab rescue group.)

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Puppies are alot of work and require lots of care. If you have a younger sibling and can remember how they were as infants, that will give you an idea. Before getting a puppy, regardless of breed, thorough preparation needs to be made and that is more than just getting food, dishes and toys. A good understanding of the breed you select is critical. It avoids any surprises and helps you to undersand what care you need to give for a happy healthy puppy.

Since you suspect you would not have time, I'd reconsider getting a puppy.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

You have been given good advice - i do commend you on taking the time to learn about labs before jumping in!

They are a handful as a puppy and the puppy years last for 24mts! They are mouthy, bite, pee, poop, cry...it never ends. As they grow they will need lots of daily exercise (depending on the lab, an hour at least a day, most need more than that). They need daily mental stimulation (obedience classes, daily practice at home). This means every day before school AND after school you will have to spend time with the dog. Rain or shine.

Another thing to consider, they live to be 12+ years. Do you parents want a dog? what happens when you go to college? It's very hard to find a place that accepts dogs, and usually costs more.

Do your parents want a dog? Are they going to help you? Puppies are alot of work 24/7. they need to want this or it will not work.

What about costs? are your parents going to help with vet bills, dog food, toys, treat, obedience classes. It adds up. Rocky eats up a huge part of my salary.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Naley181
    Hey wuz up? well my mom said i could get a new puppy this summer and ive always wanted a lab. But i just dont know if i will have the time to take care of it. If any one has any facts or any suggestions feel free to email me at [email protected]

If you dont have time I definitely wouldnt advise you to get a puppy ESPECIALLY a lab. The puppy will probably become your moms worst nightmare with the lack of time from you.

There are plenty of other pets that are low maintenance.

Fish, birds.....even a cornsnake. I own one myself. They eat once a week and require minimal care. Get something else instead.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You have gotten a lot of good advice. I have one thing to add and then a very strong suggestion.

(1) Are your parents going to take a strong role in the training and care in the beginning? It is so improtant and the vet bills the first year are not going to be small.

(2) You should edit your posting and remove your email address. There are people htat are not so nice that will find it and start sending you emails that you really do not want and lots of them. Once they start it is very hard to stop them. You should never, NEVER, post your email address.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I think you would have lots of fun with a lab - but as others have said, they are a TONNE of work. Puppies, in general are a lot of work, but Labs are espeically energetic when they are little. You may consider a different breed if you dont' have the time and energy to care for a pup who needs round the clock care and attention. Some breeds, although they still need lots of care, are not as energetic as labs are.

How old are you? Good luck with your pup!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarlansMum
    how old are you?
    (don't answer that either...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast