Changing Names
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Names

DefaultChanging Names

So I'm about to adopt a dog from the Humane Society. The dog I adopt will be anywhere between 8 weeks old and a year. Some of these dogs already have names. My question is....is it possible to change a dogs name after they have already learned to answer to another name? I really like the idea of getting a dog thats 9 months old or so and is semi house trained already, but I want to name him myself. All thoughts, positive and negative appreciated.

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Changing Names

Yup, you can change their name, they'll adjust.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Gene Guest

Sure Zoey was a year old when I adopted her. Her previous name was Savana. She learned her new name in about three days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I adopted Duke at age 8 months when he was named Willy by his previous owner. He had fear issues and didn't come when called. After about a year, I changed his name to something that sounds completely different. He responds much better to "Duke" and I wonder if his issues were related to some punishment in his past which he associated to his name.

Tundra Aries Guest

I've heard too that they adjust

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

We renamed Bosley, he was a "Bosco" when we got him, he was about 7 months of age, and he really seemed to adapt to the name change. Almost as if he wanted a new name. Also, most shelters, if it's a stray dog, they just give them a name and they may or may not know that name by the time they are adopted.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Boomer was two when we got him from rescue. They had called him Lou then Timmy. Who knows what his previous owner called him. Buster is also from rescue and his surrending owner had named him Snoopy. It only took them a couple days to figure out we were talking to them.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

They learn their new names pretty quickly. I think we all have nick names for our pets and they respond to them so why not a new name. Good luck with your adoption. Be sure to let us know what you get.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Didn't change Sam's name because she responded well to it. But she now responds equally well to Rella and Stinky.

Sadie was somewhere between one and a half and two when I got here and her name used to be....go figure...Lassie! We found Sargeant when he was about a year and a half and had no clue what his name was...so he also adjusted. They did great. Sadie did have the occasional ear raise when the show Lassie was on but she's got passed that now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast