My sadest stray dog story.. :(

Thread: My sadest stray dog story.. :(

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy sadest stray dog story.. :(

So my sister and I were coming back from shopping this evening, and as we were pulling into my parking lot, I saw a black lab run across the street... so I got out of the car and told my sister I'll try to see if he has a tag. There is no way I would have left a stray dog on the street running around in this cold weather.

After noticing that he ran across another street, I came back and got in my sister's car and we drove to where I saw him last. We pulled up, got out of the car and noticed that the dog was very skittish. Thankfully, I just bought a bunch of treats for Saba, so I was trying to lure him closer with the treats. Some might call it stupid as he could have been aggressive, but we didn't think of that, all we could think is to make sure he gets to his home. Unfortunately he didn't have a tag. A guy that lives across the street got out of his car and told us "oh yeah, that's the dog that was here 2 weeks ago (!! !! ) barking at 2 am!". We called the Guelph Humane Society after hours (it was after 7 pm), but the girl answering the phones said that unless he's confined to a back yard or a garage, they won't go out and get him. Wish I lived close by in a house, but I live in an apartment so I had no where to confind him to. And the neighbours were not very willing to help... sad society.

The lady at the Humane Society was going to check if there were any missing ads for a black lab, based on the description I gave her. That was almost 3 hours ago... I know they are very busy but it just annoys me that there is no animal control, or someone else that could have gone out and got him. Even the police was not interested in helping (yup, we called..).

It's just so sad and depressing. It's so cold outside, and he looked so thin. He looked to be about 5-8 years old, black, thin and so scared. So so so scared. Poor thing. We pretty much gave him a whole bag of treats over 3 hours, he seemed to be pretty hungry. We tried keeping him close to the car (he wouldn't come too close as he was too scared, not aggressive, just scared). When he took off we followed him for a bit, so that if the Humane Society called back, we'd know where he is. But eventually he went in between some houses and we lost him. We stayed with him for over 2 hours and drove around to look for him.
    Our hearts just break, I'm sure someone must be missing him I sure hope that someone will find him and let him into their garage at least and call the Humane Society.
    That's the end of my little rant... This is so depressing for us. Poor dog. :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My sadest stray dog story.. :(

Poor guy. :'(

You did a good thing. He probably hasn't eaten in quite awhile so that little bit of nurishment will do more than you can imagine. You also alerted the authorities to the situation which apparently no one else thought to do. You did more than most would/did so don't beat yourself up. I know it's really tough to think about him but that's because you are a caring individual with a heart for other living beings. Thankfully animals are pretty resilient. If he's been out there for 2 weeks he probably has somewhere that he goes at night. Just say a prayer that the poor guy gets help soon. I'll do the same.

Your words make me feel a bit better. Thank you. But I just can't get him out of my mind. Makes me want to cry when I think of how he was barking. It was almost a cry for help but he just wouldn't come too close and if we moved, he moved further away. Poor thing. I do pray that someone finds him soon. I just can't believe how this upset me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

:'(

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Agnes, wanna go on a hunt and see if we can find him today? are you working?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Poor little guy.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

that is sad....... I hope someone can sure him and keep him safe and warm........ :'( maybe if you had another dog with you, he would come closer ?

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If you can get another person, or more than one, that will help. See if you can lure/drive the dog into a contained area - a fenced yard, school field, etc. Having another dog around might relax them, or it may frighten them.

When a certain foster dog slipped her collar during the handoff, there were three of us playing 'dog-herders' . Eventually we had her in a semi-contained apartment courtyard, and using just enough 'pressure' kept her moving towards the doorway, which was walled on three sides and we were able to keep her pinned there while one person went in and leashed her.

Make sure you have a leash and collar ready (a kennel lead is ideal, that you can quickly slip over the dog's head. )

Great minds think alike Karina! I got up before 7 and after taking Saba for his morning ritual, I drove around for about 40 minutes. Got a number of treats in my pocket and a bag of food. But I didn't see him. ??? Last place I saw him last night was on Kearney St. (off Grange), near Chesterton (for the Guelph peeps). I have to take Saba to the park soon so I'll drive around again for a bit.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I can't imagine how frightened and lonely he is. Poor thing. You did good, I just wish people were more responsible but then that would be in a perfect world and we sure don't live in perfect.