When To Get Pup "Fixed"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When To Get Pup "Fixed"

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen To Get Pup "Fixed"

Parker is now six months old. At what age are labs supposed to be spayed/neutered (and which is which boy/girl, I forget).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: When To Get Pup "Fixed"

spay = bitch
    neuter = male.

As to age I don't know since I've always had rescues who were fixed before I got them.

I can't really answer your question on this, not sure what the "rule" is. We had Cooper done when he was approx. 8 months old, I believe. Your vet should be able to give you their thoughts on this.

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

The breeder asked us to wait until BJ is a year old so he can reach his maximum growth potential. So next month, BJ is in for a sad surprise.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Most literature says it's safe after 6mts. Most vets recommend that age as well. If you are going to compete with your dog (physically - agility, flyball, herding) it's best to wait until they are done growing. But that's for lifelong athletes, not the regular family dogs.

and yes, it's very common for breeders to recommend waiting until 14-16mts. But be aware that if you go that route you MUST be diligent with your dog at all times. You would be surprised how many females dogs in heat are running around loose, or at dog parks.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

My golden's breeder recommended (and strongly prefers) 18-24 months. Pretty much the same growth patterns as a lab I would assume. After talking it over with the vet, she didn't disagree but of course didn't promote it either. That was enough for me to believe there is some benefit. As for "male" behaviors, Cooper (5 month golden) humps my 18 month lab but has never ever attempted to hump anything or anyone else and does not lift his leg yet. Riley, my lab, was neutered at 5 months and didn't start humping or lifting his leg until long after he was neutered. Go figure. :

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Most literature says it's safe after 6mts. Most vets recommend that age as well. If you are going to compete with your dog (physically - agility, flyball, herding) it's best to wait until they are done growing. But that's for lifelong athletes, not the regular family dogs.

and yes, it's very common for breeders to recommend waiting until 14-16mts. But be aware that if you go that route you MUST be diligent with your dog at all times. You would be surprised how many females dogs in heat are running around loose, or at dog parks.

My vet recommended 6 months as well. Molly is scheduled for April.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

My vet recommends 6 months for neutering, and before first heat for females. I have never had problems, but there are reasons for waiting too.

Tundra Aries Guest

We were told to do it at 6 months, but waited longer.

With Tucker, I was gonna just have him neutered at 6 mos. (cheaper then, because of weight). My vet talked me into waiting, give him some more time, so we did it at 9 mos.

With Tipper, the breeder wants us to wait 'til she's 14 mos. I talked to the vet; she said that's fine.

With each dog, in talking to the vet about spay/neuter, she said they tell people 6 mos. because too many people aren't responsible with their dogs, and dogs get pregnant, having unwanted puppies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast