Shedding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding

DefaultShedding

I noticed that you guys talk alot about your labs shedding 24/7 365 days a year. My Maggie is a chocolate lab and I live on the central coast of California, (1/2 way between San Francisco and Los Angeles). We have pretty mild weather year round and I don't notice Maggie shedding all that much. Maybe in the summer she sheds more, but not so much that I say "OMG she is blowing coat!" She has a nice soft, shiny coat on most of her body and then a little longer, coarser coat on her butt. Yes, she sheds some, but I imagine she doesn't shed much because of our mild weather.

Am I correct or am I just LUCKY? How about you guys in Florida, are your labs the same?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Shedding

Labs with a proper coat shed all the time. Labs without a proper coat might or might not -- it is a crapshoot. Genetics is more of the decider than the weather is.

bummer

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Well, I don't think either of mine have a proper coat, and they both shed 24/7 365 days a year. I'm still waiting for those five minutes that they don't shed!!
    Jefferson has short coarse outer coat, with very little undercoat. Teddy has long silky top coat, and tons of undercoat. I'm pretty sure that neither of those fit the description of a proper coat! I don't even know if I would recognize a proper coat!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Labs with a proper coat shed all the time. Labs without a proper coat might or might not -- it is a crapshoot. Genetics is more of the decider than the weather is.
    Alfie must have proper coat then cos ive just spent the last hour on my hands and knees grooming the carpet lol brushing its into piles then sucking pile sup with the hoover he was only in front room for like 2hrs last night grrrr

I've had and have all colors at my house...the chocolates DO NOT shed anywhere like the number one yellows do with blacks a close second. They just don't. I've had chocolates of different coats here through rescue and only time I've really noticed it is if one is blowing coat. My yellows...they shed minute by minute...second by second. I dunno...just my personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    I've had and have all colors at my house...the chocolates DO NOT shed anywhere like the number one yellows do with blacks a close second. They just don't. I've had chocolates of different coats here through rescue and only time I've really noticed it is if one is blowing coat. My yellows...they shed minute by minute...second by second. I dunno...just my personal experience.
    Hmmm.....I wonder if the hair salon will do a dye job on Cooper to make him a chocolate! I'll try anything to cut down on the yellow hair in this house! ;D

(Although I have to admit, these days he's not shedding quite as much but spring is coming...I hope....)

Bev.

Sawyer sheds quite a bit - more at different times of the year. Sammy was definitely more of a shedder though. I agree with the yellow vs. chocolate coat. Haven't had a black yet!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Champ definitely sheds more than Buddy, but that may be because Buddy is a mix and Champ is all Lab.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    This is what I've read as well as experienced. My cousin has a yellow and a black and the yellow sheds waaay more. Cinder sheds constantly but I have friends with yellows and they make Cinders shedding look like nothing. Maybe just a coincidence, but it's been a consistent coincidence with the labs I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast