need your prayers and support
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need your prayers and support

jodi is offline Junior Member

Defaultneed your prayers and support

I don't post often, but I read everyday. I took my Gracie in yesterday for annual shots and exam. The vet called last night to tell me she is heartworm positive. She has been on preventative since I got her in May 07. She came from a rescue and had a negative test on March 1, 07. I was overwhelmed! I just never dreamed that she could have heartworms! She is not sick at all right now which hopefully means she is in very early stages. She has to go in on Monday to start treatment. I will be able to pick her up on Wed. Then she starts 60 days of crate rest. I am so sad. She is a therapy dog involved in kids read to dogs at the library and my school. She was doing such a great job and we were having so much fun. But most of all she is my buddy. She is at my side every minute. Pray for us that she will have a complete recovery and back to our therapy work!

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for dealing with this?

Jodi and Gracie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: need your prayers and support

I don't have any advice, I just want to send you good thoughts & prayers & hope Gracie does well with her treatment.

Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear Gracie's diagnosis but I'm here to tell you she will be okay!! We rescued our dog Brewster, and he was heartworm positive. This was discovered when he was at his foster home getting ready to get neutered so his foster mom cared for him until he was healthy and ready to come home to us. He was in the beginning stages and showed no signs. Catching it early is key. He was on crate rest like you said but his foster mom would let him out in a closed room where she would keep him calm and brush him and love on him. The dogs are not supposed to get any exercise because the dead worms can cause a blockage (GROSS, I know!). His very last treatment was a shot of ivermectin and he came home with us that day and ran his butt off in the yard 3 years later he's been on preventative year round and is perfectly healthy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

No words of advice, but only of encouragement! My folks "rescued" a nearly dead stray that showed up at their house a couple years ago. He was heartworm positive and with treatment, he made a full recovery and has been 100% healthy ever since. Prayers for Gracie that you get the same type of outcome!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

All I know about heartworm is to give them their meds when the vet says so. I hope Gracie comes through this fine. I think the vets know what they are doing, so just make sure you follow their guidance.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I adopted Jefferson in June of 2004, He had a negative heartworm test in March of 04. I put him on Heartguard immediately--but when he went in for his check up he was heartworm positive. He had the treatments and is in great shape today. We do Rally obedience and agility. I will say it took about a month after the period of crate rest for him to really recover his stamina and strength. I later found out that the rescue did not have him on heartworm preventative. So from March to June he was unprotected.
    I have heard of several rescue dogs that test negative when found--but six months later they test positive.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Gracie! I've seen many dogs come though the shelter heartworm positive, get treatment and make a full recovery.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Holding good healing thoughts for Gracie

Gus and Zekes Mom is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Gracie and for you as well.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Gracie! Sammi gets tested next wk., hoping for a neg. test here! Glad to hear of the positive outcome from others who have not been so lucky, I'm sure Gracie will make it through just fine also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast