Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Thread: Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoes anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

I haven't posted much in L/C in ages!

As a refresher: I have three labs; Jacob (age 7), Althea (age 5), and Tatum (age 3).

Jacob and Althea outgrew chewing long ago, but Tatum is a super chewer. Right now, when my DP and I are out of the house, we enclose the dogs in the dining room. There are two problems with this: 1 - We really don't have use of our dining room for eating, because it is perpetually full of dog hair and drool, and 2 - Tatum chews everything in site. We can't have dog beds, because Tatum eats them, so the dogs are on the hardwood floor. Tatum has chewed off all the windowsills, the corners of all the chairs, and part of the piano bench. She also ate a plate cover off an outlet and tore wallpaper off the wall. She doesn't chew at all when we are home - she won't even touch a bone. We don't leave any toys with the dogs when we are gone, b/c we don't want to come home to a dog fight. Tatum was crated for a long time, but being able to curl up with J&A has done wonders for her social development (she is a rescue and has always been very timid). She really needs to not be physically separated from her pack.

So, we are enclosing our back porch for the dogs to stay in when we are not home. The walls are all windows, and there will be washable paint and nothing to chew. We will have indoor/outdoor carpeting with padding so they can be more comfortable. **here is our idea** We were thinking of buying some nylabones, drilling holes through the middle, and screwing them to the walls. That way, Tatum will have something satisfying to chew on, without the potential off a fight over something that can be hoarded and defended.

What do you all think of this idea?

Thanks!

ETA - we'll be bolting them to the studs, not just screwing them into drywall.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

How is Tatum normally with toys? Is she or any of the other two possessive?
    I would have suggested crating, but I understand why that is out of the question. I think your idea should work, if you give her something to chew on, but I was wondering if it might be better if the nylabones are scattered around instead of mounted to walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenica
    How is Tatum normally with toys? Is she or any of the other two possessive?
    I would have suggested crating, but I understand why that is out of the question. I think your idea should work, if you give her something to chew on, but I was wondering if it might be better if the nylabones are scattered around instead of mounted to walls.
    Tatum won't play with toys in the house. Outside, she loves toys and is not possessive. Jacob, however, is laid back most of the time but occasionally decides that he needs to keep a toy that Aly is after and will growl.

I truly beleive that they do not have an alpha amongst them because I am their pack leader, but they also have never worked out which dog wins if two dogs want the same thing. We have three nylabones now and sometimes Aly will take Jacob's and sit on it while chewing her own, and he just lays down and pouts, and other times he will defend his bone by getting up and moving, taking it back, or, occasionally, growling.

I really feel uncomfortable leaving them alone with toys.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm guessing you figured that all that chewing has to be anxiety related. I probably would just leave the nylabones out all together. First I think its hard for a dog to associate the difference between a bone screwed to the wall and the wall itself. You may just be encouraging the wall chewing behaviour. I think i would do as you are doing now and leave the toys out of the room.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    I probably would just leave the nylabones out all together. First I think its hard for a dog to associate the difference between a bone screwed to the wall and the wall itself. You may just be encouraging the wall chewing behaviour.
    Very true.

Does she get lots of exercise before they get put away for the day? Maybe you could have a dog walker come by a few times to let them out/take them for a walk to break up the day and distract her.

I'd also just leave toys out all the time, maybe even a few stuffed frozen kongs. Growling doesn't necessarily lead to a fight or have anything to do with "real" aggression, Peanut growls her little head off, but I know she'd never back it up.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Personally, I would crate all three, with Tatum in the middle. That will keep her in the middle of the pack, give her company. Give them each a frozen Kong when you put them in the crates. It will save your home and prevent any serious accidents from Tatum chewing or ingesting something dangerous.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Personally, I would crate all three, with Tatum in the middle. That will keep her in the middle of the pack, give her company. Give them each a frozen Kong when you put them in the crates. It will save your home and prevent any serious accidents from Tatum chewing or ingesting something dangerous.
    I agree, only if Jacob and Althea are ok to be loose, I would just crate Tatum and put separate beds either side of Tatum's crate for them to sleep on. That way you don't have to restrict Jacob and Althea if it is safe for them to be loose.

Have you followed any protocols to try and help her separation anxiety?

Thanks, all! I've got some follow up thoughts/comments that I'll post later..but I wanted to thank everyone who responded.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Riggs is crated when we aren't home, and we find that Marlan just sleeps beside his crate anyways. So they like to be together even if one is crated. By the way, now they are both crated side by side and I am having no problems with that.