My Girl's Getting Spayed Next Week

Thread: My Girl's Getting Spayed Next Week

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy Girl's Getting Spayed Next Week

Breezy will be getting spayed on Thursday of next week. I'm kind of nervous as I have never been through this before. I'm bringing her in the Monday before for an EKG and bloodwork. Are there some specific things I should be asking my Vet before her spay? I'd really appreciate any advice you guys/gals can share!

Catherine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My Girl's Getting Spayed Next Week

I don't have any specific suggestions to give you, but thought I would share my experience ~ Shelby was spayed last summer at the age of 2. I had the bloodwork done ahead of time, too. She had a laser spay. I was very glad that I got pain medication for her because she did whine off and on for a few days every time she would lay down. The first day when I brought her home she was REALLY out of it. I decided to bring her around the back of my house so that there wouldn't be any stairs involved and she could go right through the basement door. Well, not the best move because when I stopped to open our gate, she laid down and wouldn't get up. She was totally out of it. I had to dead lift her and carry her the rest of the way. She whined a lot that first day (I think that can be an effect of the anesthesia) -- and that just about broke my heart. The next day was better but I gave her pain medication each time it was due. I followed all the rules -- only took her out on a leash to potty and very limited activity for 2 weeks.

Good luck.

ETA: Here's a picture I made of her the next day ~ again she had the laser spay:

No really specific suggestions either, just wanted to good luck & everything will go good.
    Bailey had a regular spay at the age of 6 months - I wish I would have taken a picture of her belly like Laurie did with Shelby - it's kind of funny how they look until the fur growns back!!
    Spaying Bailey didn't change anything about her - energy, personality, etc... - she was back to her normal self the first day home, so we had to really restrict her per docs instructions until she was healed a bit more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No suggestions really. Mocha was spayed at about 14 months old just the typical method (not laser). The vet we use is a 24 hr vet and they keep all animals overnight after spay or neuter so she spent the night and came home the next day. She was a little slow moving the first day and part of the second but after that you could barley tell she had the surgery.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate your responses! Breezy will be almost 15 months old when she is spayed. I hope she bounces back quickly because I don't know how I'll be able to keep her quiet for 2 weeks! :-\
    I didn't know there was such a thing as laser spay. I'm assuming she will be getting the standard spay. I will ask the Vet on Monday. Is it common for them to get sick from the anesthesia?