Seeking Advise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advise

DefaultSeeking Advise

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time on the site, and so far it's been a great experience with amazing new information. Here is my situation. I'm about to leave Asia after an expat assignment and am heading back to Canada. I used to have a Golden Retriever, but unfortunately he passed away a few years back. I loved him to death, but unfortunately I don't think I can go back to another Retriever, I'd feel as though I'm replacing him. It may be stupid, but I'm having a hard time over it lol. So I'm turning to Labs. They have similar attitudes, features, etc. but are a little different.

Has anybody had both dogs and could give me some insight of the differences I might experience?

I would eventually like to have 2 dogs; however, this site: http://www.leerburg.com/2dogs.htm highly discourages raising two pups together. Would it be best to get the first dog, train him and then get a pup? Has anybody had any experience with this?

How do they compare in terms of shedding?

Anyway, that's it for now. I'd really appreciate any advice you have to give
    All the best,
    Kevin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Seeking Advise

[Has anybody had both dogs and could give me some insight of the differences I might experience?
    I think that a few people on here have both Labs and Goldens, so hopefully they will chime in.

I have never owned a Golden but I know many of them. From my observations, Goldens are more sensitive than Labs and also less stubborn. Overall, however, both breeds are quite similar. You can more or less expect what you got from you Golden with your Lab, with Labs being a little more in-your-face and exuberant. Also, mentally, Labs seem to take longer to mature than most breeds, so expect puppy-like behaviour for the first several years. The Goldens I know (both show and working types) matured mentally much faster.

I would definitely NOT get two puppies together. No reputable breeder would ever sell two puppies together. Raising one puppy successfully is difficult enough without adding another to the mix. It would be extremely difficult to dedicate the time needed to raise two puppies AND give them enough individual attention for them not to over-bond with each other. It can be dangerous for two dogs to become overly attached (and it happens most often with littermates who are never separated) in case future separation is needed.

If you want to add a second Lab in the future, wait until your first dog is at LEAST one year old. But even then, that is small age gap so waiting several years is probably best for your own sanity.

How do they compare in terms of shedding?
    Most Labs shed 24/7, all year round. You would be surprised how much mess a shorthaired dog makes.

Hi and welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your golden. I had a golden and a lab at the same time, they were a year apart in age and unforunately, I lost them within 9 months of each other. My lab was more independent than my golden. And yes, she was extremely sensitive and needy, but in the good way. As Rosie said, they are very much alike...both enjoyed swimming, retrieving, hiking. I some day hope to have another golden although my labs are the loves of my life right now. I think you will be very, very happy with a lab and can't wait to hear more when you bring home your new family member. Labs are big hams, love being goofy and loving and just have a way of stealing your heart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

We had a Golden Retriever and now a Cholcolae Lab.

Everything zoezoe said.

Labs have shorter hair and shed more of it . Hmmm Probably knew that.

Our Lab is definitely closer to me than our GR was, she attached to one of our girls. I think it was because this daughter needed her.

I find that the Lab is much mouthier, has to have something in that mouth. and is a much more intense retriever. This is all probably just individual personality. I think they are very similar dogs once the appearance difference is taken into account.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Hi Kevin, welcome to the JL forum.

My Hubby always had farm collie type dogs. One cold early May morning our hired hand found a very small black pup on the side of our road and brought it to work.
    That pup was Louie, who turned out to be 3/4 Labrador Retriever and lived the life of farm dog when Hubby was working outside and house dog when we were in the house, including nights sleeping in our bedroom.

Shortly after Louie died, Hubby said that our next dog would have to be a Lab or strong Lab type mix - and only black would do. He never put the rest into words although I'm sure his feeling were that he so missed the general characteristics of Louie that he had to have another dog similar in type - sort of an honor/tribute to the place that Louie had made in our life and hearts and left a lot of room for more of the same. Some might look at that as replacement, but we felt that it was, again, an honor/tribute to Louie making our life more complete.

Now through 35 years there has been Louie, LeRoy, and our current black Lab, Auggie; each unique, each irreplaceable, and each appreciated and loved almost more than the one before.

Just food for thought and another way to look at it.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

In my opinion, labs are a helluva lot harder to raise as a pup than a Golden.

I would definitely wait until your first pup is full grown and fully trained before getting a 2nd.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your Golden...

No advice (I've only ever had my lab) but just wanted to say hi and welcome! Which part of Canada are you coming back to?

Hi and welcome!
    We have two labs with 4.5 years age difference between them. I could never raise two puppies together, one is challenge enough on its own. I also noticed that when we added our puppy our 4.5 year old girl immediately slipped back about two years in behaviour and manners. A few reminders corrected that (for the most part) but I am not so sure how it would work with a younger dog.

Welcome to the forum You have gotten great advice so far and I agree with it all. My BIL had a golden he was a great dog just like my labs and for the most part very similar he was a little more sensitive to dicipline though. As far as sheding it's pretty much the same only labs have shorter hair but beleive me it adds up all the same.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Just based on what I've seen, I'd definitely agree that golden's are much more sensitive than labs. Three of my family members have goldens, and I have my lab. Baloo (lab) is wonderful and funny and goofy and has his share of "sweet" moments, but I've found that the goldens are much more mushy (for lack of a better word :P) than he is. Which is fine by me.

I also think waiting is very smart. Baloo is only 11 months, so I still remember his puppyhood vividly, and I can't imagine trying to raise two puppies at once. I literally can't wrap my head around how much work that would be.... trust me when I say one is more than plenty.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast