What are some good treats?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some good treats?

fourbabygirls Guest

DefaultWhat are some good treats?

We are new to the dog-ownership thing, and I'm afraid of making mistakes. What are some good "people" food treats I can give her? I read a weekly newspaper pet lovers' column whose author feeds her dog carrots and other veggies as treats. I know grapes, raisins, and onions are no-nos, but is there anything else? Does broccoli have the same effect on dogs as it does my husband? :-X

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What are some good treats?

In all honesty, IMHO, the best treats are kibble, taken from their daily allotment.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fourbabygirls
    We are new to the dog-ownership thing, and I'm afraid of making mistakes. What are some good "people" food treats I can give her? I read a weekly newspaper pet lovers' column whose author feeds her dog carrots and other veggies as treats. I know grapes, raisins, and onions are no-nos, but is there anything else? Does broccoli have the same effect on dogs as it does my husband? :-X
    My guess is probably ;D ;D ;D

HK loves baby carrots and apples, we don't even think about looking at other things.

If I am cutting up a potato and a piece slips off the counter, it never hits the floor.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi usually gets some of her kibbles, she loves them and seriously they work as well as anything! To change it up, mostly for me I give carrots, greenbeans, a piece of apple- She will pretty much eat anything she is given, but I try to keep it low calorie- just like for myself ;D

Bailey gets (& LOVES) carrots, applesauce, peanut butter (only small amounts-usually in her kong).
    She thinks they are the greatest. I'm interested to see what other "good" treats people give too!!

Maggie loves applesauce, peas, carrots, and green beans! She also LOVES her peanut butter I use to plug the ends of her Kong! She also LOVES frozen marrow bones, but I only let her chew it for 10-15 min. as they have proven to be a little rich still for her as she is still a puppy.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You can pretty much feed anything that is not on the toxic list. My dogs have sampled just about every foodstuff. Cheese, meats of all kinds, fish, potatoes, veggies of all kinds and even things like toast and pasta. Of course, they don't get fed this all in one go, or even particularly frequently. They mainly get our food when we have leftovers that are not going to get eaten.

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

We do a lot of training with treats in our house. We do use kibble a lot, but sometimes you just wanna give them somethin' special! (We do reduce their kibble if treating gets out of hand on certain days) Carrots, apple, banana, raw potato (skin removed please - if potato is green its toxic to puppeh), ice cubes, green beans are all fair game. Brooklyn also LOVES lettuce (my little vegan puppy) We also use applesauce frozen in their kongs for treats. We try not to give too much dairy, but we do use low fat mozzarella sticks for training (the tiniest of morsels will go a long way!) and sometimes plain lowfat vanilla icecream on super hot days (again...very little goes a long way) and we mix pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling) in with their kibble.

Of course, Brooklyn has been known to go shopping in our grocery bags for yogurt...and the eyes we get for pizza crust..unbelievable!

Just remember - if you wouldn't eat it why should they? Keep all treats healthy, in small portions and NEVER feed from the table ... the begging will never stop!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Our boys get green beans and pumpkin for a bedtime snack, have been known to get bits of bread, apple, and banana. These guys are picky for Labs, certainly not like the Lab I was used to!

Our Shadow (see avatar) would eat anything that couldn't run away from her. Apples were her favorite, and she would steal them from our neighbor's tree when they didn't fall fast enough. She also ate green beans, pumpkin, carrots, celery, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, tomato, watermelon, kiwi, pineapple, strawberries (she stole those out of the garden!), etc. If I was cutting up fruit or veggies for salads, she got a bit of everything except onions and grapes. She also loved everything else edible, though since she was allergic to wheat we had to be careful about what she got. The only thing she actually refused to eat was a piece of orange. Don't think it was the texture, so it must have been the acid.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

We give Sam cheese (tiny pieces) for reward training and his usual puppy nuts. He's too little to try anything else just yet!
    Don't think I'm ignorant - just from a different country. What on earth is a Kong????? ???
    I thought it might be a bowl until;[quote=map1986 ]
    She also LOVES her peanut butter I use to plug the ends of her Kong!
    [/qu : : : ;Dote]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast