Shiny coats?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiny coats?

DefaultShiny coats?

This might sound dumb, but I've noticed some of your labs have really shiny coats (e.g. Wigwag's Clint). I wonder if this is due to the fact that these labs are either black or chocolate and therefore reflect shine better? My Spot has been on Kirkland ever since he was 8 weeks old and is very healthy, but I can never describe his coat as "shiny". He is 14 months old now. I wonder if it is time to try some other brands to see if his coat will change or am I being silly?

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Shiny coats?

Hmm....I don't know if I've ever seen a "shiny" yellow.....? I think of shine as more of a black/chocolate thing.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Tundra Aries Guest

I was just going to say the same thing, I don't think I've seen a Yellow Lab with a shiny coat, but maybe I'm wrong, I do know that I've always felt my mothers chocolate labs coats and they were always different than my black labs coats, almost like the hair was thicker or something, my mom's had may chocolate ones and it was always the same.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My yellows (including foster dog) don't look shiny but you can see a sparkle to their coats in the sun. Sort of like glistening snow...if that makes any sense.

Laura explained this once years ago. It has something to do with the pigment in the hair.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think it is the fur color and how the light reflects. Hershey Kisses in on Kirklands Signature Chicken and Rice. I always get comments (complements) on how shiny her coat is.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think the contrast between the background provided by a dark (black or chocolate) coat and the sun makes their shine more prominent.

My Puff (YF) doesn't usually have a noticeably shiny coat but, with the light at just the right angle, it can be seen (but with much less contrast than a B or C Lab).

For example, (to do this you may have to hang out around a car wash place ;D but) look at freshly washed and waxed cars in sunlight and notice the difference between the amount of shine from a black car versus one that's beige or white -- it's quite extreme because the darker the background color, the greater the contrast will be with the shine (which is white).

To save you from hanging around car washes, consider a black square with a white circular dot in the center -- great contrast. Now switch the black to yellow or biege and compare the contrast -- much less, isn't it?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    I think it is the fur color and how the light reflects. Hershey Kisses in on Kirklands Signature Chicken and Rice. I always get comments (complements) on how shiny her coat is.
    Ditto here, I also give her fish oil not sure if that makes a difference! Unfortunately or not, Sammi and I have almost the same color hair well at least in the summertime when hers is redder, but mine isn't oily! Mine came out of bottle for the last 20 yrs , so I had mine first

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I'm sure it has something to do with the way the light plays off darker vs. lighter colors. Simon has a very shiny coat. Angus' coat is healthy, but doesn't reflect the light that way.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I really don't think labs are suppose to have shiny coats! But some do, like Sammi- but if some of the breeders check in here they would have more to add!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast