Kennel Cough? (long)

Thread: Kennel Cough? (long)

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel Cough? (long)

I am really hoping ppl that have been through this can take a few mins to respond. Harlee went to Daycare last Thursday (first time since winter) and started coughing last night. It only happened when she went outside and started playing in the snow...she was hacking and gaging. She came in and she was fine. Tonight..got home from work let her out same thing happened..she came in and seems to be fine as long as she is not jumping around acting a fool

I called the vet

Vet #1 office says- Leave her for now, if she starts throwing up call and make an appt to come in.

Vet #2 (dont like them, switched to Vet1) says...you need to bring her in ASAP.

From what i have read, I see for the cough I can use cough syrup..at this point its only happened a few times so I think I will wait. From last Thurs til last night...does it take that long to show symptoms? Should I take her to the vet? Does it just get worse?

Appreciate any responses!
    Karolyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough? (long)

How old is Harlee?

If she's old enough, I'd just let it pass, she'll develop her own immunity to the disease.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd listen to vet #1. There's really not much they can do for kennel cough, just gotta wait it out.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She will be 10 months on the 29th.

Let it pass...for some reason...every foster dog I've had in the past month (3 out of 4) have had a mild case of KC. You can give them cough meds, etc. but it's just gonna run it's course. I have one now that is on the end of KC and she sounds like a seal when I first let her out of her crate in the am...after that she is fine. It's sort of like you having a cold. Just keep your pup home and away from other puppers.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless she's really mopey, goes off her food, throws up, ect... If she's really hacking, yes you can give her robitussin. Make sure you call the daycare to let them know what you're dealing with and keep her home for a week after you hear the last cough.

Thanks everyone, you have managed to make me feel a lot better. I had already called Daycare and left a message (they were closed when I got home tonight). I wanted to see how many other dogs were sick and to tell them I think Harlee had caught it.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Just a thought to consider: KC has an incubation period of 8-10 days (according to my readings when Oakley had it last fall) so Harlee probably didn't pick it up at day care. Has he had any other contact with dogs in the 8-10 day range?
    But you rightly called the daycare as Harlee may habe been passing it on there.
    When Oakley got it last fall, I called all the owners of dogs that Oakley had been in contact with from the 10 days before she started showing symptoms.

I used robitussin and I found it helped.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

My vet gave alfie antibiotics as they can get other infections while kennel cough is there and i just gave benelin to sooth his throat from the coughing ;D went after 5 days ish?

Kris L. Christine is offline Senior Member

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE.

Oddly enough, the only labs we've owned who've ever come down with kennel cough after being boarded were ones that had been vaccinated against kennel cough. All of them recovered on their own, without medication, but I'd watch to make sure your lab doesn't get much worse.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE.

Regarding the Bordetella (Kennel Cough) vaccine, on Page 2 of the American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines and Recommendations, it states that "Optional or 'noncore' vaccines are those that the committee believe should be considered only in special circumstances because their use is more dependent on the exposure risk of the individual animal. Issues of geographic distribution and lifestyle should be considered before administering these vaccines. In addition, the diseases involved are generally self-limiting or respond readily to treatment. The committee believes this group of vaccines comprises distemper-meases virus (D-MV), canine parainfluenza virus (CPIV), Leptospira spp., Bordetella bronchispetica, and Borrelia burdorferi."

Further, on Page 14 of the AAHA Guidelines, it states: "Bordetella bronchiseptica (B. bronchiseptica): Bordetella bronchiseptica is another cause of the “kennel cough” syn-drome. Infection in some susceptible dogs generally causes a self-limiting, upper respiratory disease and rarely causes life-threatening disease in otherwise healthy animals. Clini-cal disease resolves quickly when treated with appropriate antibiotics. Vaccination does not block infection but appears to lessen clinical disease, and vaccines provide a short DOI (<1 year) [table 2]. It is also unknown whether current vac-cine strains protect against all field strains."

Combination Vaccines, Multiple Shots--on Page 16 of the 2003 AAHA Guidelines under Immunological Factors Determining Vaccine Safety, it states that: "Although increasing the number of components in a vaccine may be more convenient for the practitioner or owner, the likelihood for adverse effects may increase. Also, interference can occur among the components. Care must be taken not to administer a product containing too many vaccines simultaneously if adverse events are to be avoided and optimal immune responses are sought. "

Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know, Dr. Ronald Schultz http://www.cedarbayvet.com/duration_of_immunity.htm

World Small Animal Veterinary Association 2007 Vaccine Guidelines http://www.wsava.org/SAC.htm Scroll down to Vaccine Guidelines 2007 (PDF)

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf .

Veterinarian, Dr. Robert Rogers,has an excellent presentation on veterinary vaccines at http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    The Rabies Challenge Fund
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org