Should I be worried

Thread: Should I be worried

DefaultShould I be worried

Posted this in the RAW forum with no response. Thought I'd post it here and see if anyone had any comments. Usually Dana hops on these but I know Chili just had her pups a couple days ago:

Last night Fletch grabbed an uncooked chicken drumstick and swallowed it without chewing. I tried to grab it but he had it swallowed before I could get to it. He gets fed RAW at night so it's not that he isn't used to raw meat. He seemed fine last night, he threw up a little in the middle of the night (Not the bone and not completely unheard of. He's thrown up in the night maybe once every two months since i've had him) and was ok this morning and today.

I just want to check and see if I had any reason to be concerned in terms of digestion? I believe that is a weight bearing bone and the fact that it wasn't chewed at all concerns me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Should I be worried

Like any Lab that swallows something they shouldn't, and the list is endless, I would observe carefully but is that bone doesn't show up out of either end by tomorrow I would head to your Vet for an Xray to see where it might be.

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

I asked the same question in this thread a month or so ago...

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg861559

I wouldn't worry, I guess there is some risk, but being that it was raw he should be ok.

PS-Don't try to look for it at the other end as it won't show up. A dogs stomach can disintegrate raw bones. My pup at an entire rock cornish hen and there were no traces of bones at the other end ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

thanks for posting that link Tia..... I was wondering if the bones got digested or not.... I remember when Connie asked that, because one of her dogs grabbed a whole bone of some sort and she was worried about a blockage. That was a very informative discussion.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Thanks for all the responses. Based on that thread you posted it seems that weight bearing isn't a concern in Hen's. Is that the same with chickens?

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchs Pop
    Thanks for all the responses. Based on that thread you posted it seems that weight bearing isn't a concern in Hen's. Is that the same with chickens?
    Not sure if it's the same with chickens...but my guy has eaten chicken leg quarters and has had no problems thus far.