Ear problems.

Thread: Ear problems.

DefaultEar problems.

Davis has been having some ear problems for about 6 months now and we narrowed it down to just food allergies. The vent put him on Iams Fish and Potato stuff (forgot the actual name) He loves the food more than his other and he ears are doing great. But this is hard on my wallet. This food is $70 a bag > ... Does anyone else have a Fur kid with similar problems and what alternative good foods are out there that are not $70 a freakin bag! If this is his best option of course I don't mind paying it :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ear problems.

There are more knowledgable people on this board that can answer your question, so I won't even try to, but I just had to say: Oh my gosh, look at that cute little face!!! Davis is a cutie! I hope his ears get better real soon. My Garth used to have chronic ear problems and "the purple stuff" helped him immensely! I'm sure someone here can help you out with whether that will be good for allergies or not, I'm not sure.

Good luck!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would check the ingredients in the two feeds, noting what is missing in the new one. Then begin your search for alternatives that do not have one or more of the missing ingredients that are maybe less expensive. According to what i have read, wheat, corn, and their byproducts are often associated with various allergic sensitivities in dogs. I am no expert. HK had some skin reaction when we had her on Eukanuba LBP. Not severe, didn't seem to bother her, but bothered me. When it was time to switch her to an adult feed, we found Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice. She has done great on it, no allergic reactions, and it is like $17-$18 for a 40 lb bag. It is made by Diamond, and is similar to their Diamond Naturals product.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Allies Mom is offline Senior Member

I have had a similar problem with my one dog, Diesel. Seems like from the moment we brought him home (he is almost 2 YO) he was itchy and had yucky ears. We were always at the vet because of his ears and whenever I went near the cabinet were I kept the ear cleaner, he was GONE, into his crate or under something so I couldn't get near him. We did have him tested for allergies last summer but it didn't really tell us anything. After searching on here for food that seemed to work for others with a similar problem I started the process of switching his food. I tried 4 different foods before I found one that worked, which is Purina One for sensitive systems. All of a sudden his ears cleared up and he has the cleanest ears out of all 4 of mine. Since he is the only one eating it the bag lasted a long time and I do empty the bags of food into plastic containers. When I was low on his food I went to the petstore to get more and they didn't have it. I then started thinking that I must have been wrong and I really had bought the Pro Plan for sensitive skin instead. So I did get the Pro Plan SS. Then I noticed him starting to itch alot, again, and even my husband asked me a couple days ago if I changed his food. To sum it all up, I am going today to get the Purina One for sensitive systems because this is what worked better for him. And even better, it is less expensive than the Pro Plan. I am not saying this will work for your dog, but if you try some others foods you may find one that works and is less expensive. Good Luck and sorry this post is so long. I know how frustrating it is.

I had the same problem with Nellie who also lost all the hair on her chest along with ear infections. She is now on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul made by Diamond. I think I paid about $35-$38 for the last 35 pound bag.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

You might want to look into a brand called Taste of the Wild. It's one I am considereing switching to after our next vet visit because we have on going ear problems here too. I am currently feeding Canidae and its about $7 more a bag if I remember right - so in the mid-40's.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Oh, look at Davis! He is so handsome. I had similar issues here. I changed to Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I am very happy. My two have had much less ear issues. I was visiting the Vet at least once a month with one of them or another. That was killing me. After some checking, I decided to try the ProPlan. We are very happy here. And....it is not $70 a bag. Good Luck with Davis!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

#1 ingredient in the IAM Fish and Potato is Potato! Sheesh, I can't believe they charge that much for that junk.

If you want to feed Fish and Potato, there are other brands out there that are under $50 a bag like Pinnacle Trout/Sweet Potato, Wellness, NV has the Salmon (no potato, instead Tapioca), and others I can't think of now.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Same problem with my dog and I had to go the pricey food route. I use Hills Prescription gold and it is about as pricey as what you use. It has really helped the ears though a great deal and he does like the food so it's worth it to me. (Now I just have to find a way to firmk up his stools better)

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

I feed Sundance Wellness Fish and Potato. Around $45 a bag. It's worth it to me because he had ear issues as a pup but hasn't had any since he's been on this food.

Edited to add: During the food recall scare, I was relieved to find that this food was never recalled.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06