3 yr old lab, unexpected and unwanted behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 yr old lab, unexpected and unwanted behavior

Angry3 yr old lab, unexpected and unwanted behavior

I have a 3 yr old lab named Loki that is starting to have some unwanted behavior... taking our clothes from the bedroom and chewing them up.

Back story on Loki. Got him as a puppy, had a roommate at the time that had a 4 yr old Weimaraner. Loki grew up with the Weim for a year. Then the wiem left and it was Loki, our cat and my girlfriend and myself. 5 months later we adopted a Great Dane and they got along very well, though Im sure Loki was somewhat upset, but as of now we are all a happy family.

Now though all of the sudden Loki has starting shredding our clothes. Obviously there are things that we can control.. making sure our clothes are picked up, etc. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on why this behavior all of the sudden?

Would more exercise be the first thing to consider? Obedience class?

Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sounds like boredom to me !

Think that we need more info like how much exercise does she get !

Has she ever been crated etc

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Yes and Yes (obedience class and more exercise)

has nothing changed in your routine around the time this behavior started? Change in exercise? Change in attention/time you spend with him? Have you become lax with training (as we all dog but some dogs regress)?

In the meantime (and this is not a solution but a "band aid" for now) I would contain the dog when you are out of the house (dog proof a room and confine him in there, or go back to the crate if you crate trained)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I agree with Colin, sounds like Loki maybe needs more exercise and crate time when not supervised!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Silly boy. I would also ask if something in his routien has changed. I think more exercise would probably help and definatly won't hurt and the same with some more obedience training. Then make sure to take the oppertunity to practice his new skill away by picking up better, closing the doors, or crating his when he's not supervised.

It's weird the new things they will start out of the blue though our boy Zeus started raiding the garbage can a few months back he's 3 1/2 and never messed with it before but once he started we had to actually get a can that locked closed (actually it's a dog food container) and he still tried his best to get into it for a few weeks before he gave up.

I try to go for a two mile run with him on a daily basis... otherwise when that doesnt happen, Loki and Guinness wrestle and butt tuck in the backyard for maybe 30 min. I know Loki needs more exercise than Guinness...

I guess one thing that I can think of is that I have been leaving for work earlier, therefore Loki hasnt been getting cuddle time with Dad in the bed in the morning.

More available toys, and more exercise in the morning I guess is the solution here.

A

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with what eveyone has suggested, but I would also recommend you start picking up your stuff. Nothing left out, nothing totake & shred!

My pretty girl, Lexi!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I am not a pro by any means, but it reads like boredom. If you can find a place to throw a bunch of water bumpers, that really helps excercise them in a hurry.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I prefer not just doing ONE exercise outing a day. Personally it seems bad for anyones body (human or animal) to be little/not active for 23hrs or more a day and just get out once.

So I would keep the 2 mile run and then do second walk or other at another time in the day. If your run is in the evening, yes a walk before work might be good. And try to move the cuddle/attention time to another part of the day if you no longer have time in the morning.

Actually more than just physical exercise, he may just need MENTAL stimulation. So an obedience class or other training/activity at home that gets his brain working would be helpful as well
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

If you are jogging him for physical exercise, what are you doing for mental exercise? I try to challenge my dogs with off leash walks and hide and seek sort of games to keep them challenged mentally.

He sure sounds bored to me.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast