Jonah may be losing his sight...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonah may be losing his sight...

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultJonah may be losing his sight...

As a lot of you will know, Jonah, my almost 11 year old chocolate has diabetes.

He was first diagnosed in July last year and with his twice daily shots of insulin has led a relatively normal life since.

There has been a couple of times in the early days when he has collapsed and had "jelly legs" but touch wood now that i have his meals sorted...in the way of quality, quantity and timing, he is as fit as a diabetic dog can be~ those are my vets words the last time he checked him over around Christmas time.

However, in the last couple of days we have noticed that he has a cataract coming in his left eye, i was getting him to sit for treats tonight and when i offered them from his left side it seemed as though he couldn't see anything at all, the right side was fine.

I have read that cataracts can be a side effect of diabetes but other than that know nothing about them, can they be removed?

I need to do more research and of course talk to my vet, but i thought I'd ask here first where IMO the most knowledgable people are.

In the meantime if you could spare a thought for Jonah as he may have some adjusting to do in the next few weeks~ thank~ you

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Jonah may be losing his sight...

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have no advice ~ just good thought and prayers for your sweet Jonah.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Oh my, good thoughts for Jonah. In people I believe that diabetes causes diabetic retinopathy, small hemorrhages on the back of the eye and can be treated with some laser treatments. Perhaps the incidence of cataracts is higher in diabetics, I don't know. Let us know what the vet says.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear about Jonah’s eyesight. I had a little experience with an older dog loosing her site too.

I had a 10 yr Old Norwegian elkhound that lost her site due to cataracts also. Her quality of life was fine, she was ale to navigate her familiar surroundings” quite well and didn’t seem to have too many issues.

The only times I noticed her having trouble is if she was in a strange place or if something wasn’t where it was suppose to be like moving a table or other piece of furniture.

I’m actually not sure when she exactly lost her site but once or twice she got out of my yard ( she used to stay quite close to the house or follow my other dog) and I would find her the next house over looking confused so I started to pay attention and I noticed her carefully navigating around. She only had a few mishaps with walking into things.

She lived for another year or so until she wound up with an unrelated inner ear infection that threw off her balance and was uncorrectable, between that and her blindness we came to a decision to help her cross over the bridge.

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry Kate. Do a Google on Blind Dogs. Tons of links for you and support groups.

Laura

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to send some good thoughts that their is something positive that can be done.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Aww... I'm sorry to hear that Kate.

I know cataracts can be removed, but it's a very expensive and invasive surgery, from what I've heard....

Also, dogs don't rely on their eyes nearly as much as us humans do, so losing their site is much more upsetting for us than it is for them, I think.

You've definitely got my good thoughts.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Best thoughts for Jonah and for you!!!!!!

Frances

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear it also. I'll keep him in my thoughts for a good adjustment.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I am sorry Kate. I don't know anything about sight problems in dogs...but I can spare a good thought for Jonah.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast