How do I get him to calm down on the barking??

Thread: How do I get him to calm down on the barking??

Tundra Aries Guest

DefaultHow do I get him to calm down on the barking??

Tundra's been barking a lot in the backyard, but I'm affraid the neighbors aren't happy with it, not like I really care, I just don't want them calling anyone on us and would like for him to stay in the back for awhile, but sometimes...like when school gets let out I have to take him in because the kids tease him :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do I get him to calm down on the barking??

Would you consider a citronella collar ?

If it is serious barking I would as the alternative is ugly when the neighbours start complaining !

kaytris is offline Senior Member

bring him inside.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi barks outside, Sammi comes inside! I just don't think you should make your neighbors listen to it. Lucikly Sam has gotten so much better, usually if I go to the door and just say quite she stop's- otherwise like Kaytris says, they need to come in- IMO- how old is your pup? Hope you can work it out! Di

I wonder if that citronella collar would work on the neighbour's screaming 6 & 4 year olds who are currently in their backyard hollering their lungs out. >

Bev.

Tundra Aries Guest

Thanks guys, yeah...that's what we've been doing, if Tundra barks I tell him to stop, and if he doesn't he has to come in...we're going to be moving soon, so maybe not being near a school will be better, he can see the street and that's not good. He's only 3 1/2.

LOL, at using the citronella collar on your neighbors kids hehehe.

I would use it on him, but not sure if SU would buy it, does it hurt them?

Di

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Aries
    Thanks guys, yeah...that's what we've been doing, if Tundra barks I tell him to stop, and if he doesn't he has to come in...we're going to be moving soon, so maybe not being near a school will be better, he can see the street and that's not good. He's only 3 1/2.

LOL, at using the citronella collar on your neighbors kids hehehe.

I would use it on him, but not sure if SU would buy it, does it hurt them?
    It doesn't hurt them but they really don't like the smell- I need one for Sammi in the car sometimes, but didn't think that was a wise Idea unless I wanted to smell the citronella also : ;D

kaytris is offline Senior Member

it doesn't hurt them, but releases a smell they don't enjoy.... sometimes they work, sometimes the dog learns to bark through it.

Your dog is telling you something though... and the collar may stop the barking, but the message remains - "I don't enjoy being teased" . THAT would be my focus to change - not the barking, controlling the school kids (who stand a good chance of getting bitten if they continue to harass dogs.)

Di

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    it doesn't hurt them, but releases a smell they don't enjoy.... sometimes they work, sometimes the dog learns to bark through it.

Your dog is telling you something though... and the collar may stop the barking, but the message remains - "I don't enjoy being teased" . THAT would be my focus to change - not the barking, controlling the school kids (who stand a good chance of getting bitten if they continue to harass dogs.)
    Your so right! - can you post a sign that says "stop teasing my dog or I'll spray you with citronella" ;D