If you found a dog....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you found a dog....

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultIf you found a dog....

what are some good ways to try and find the owner?

I just talked with a lady who wants to get her dog involved with dock diving. It's not a lab; it's a Blue Heeler (whatever that is). She said they found the dog along the interstate, but it's not a dumped dog or stray. She said that dog was immaculate and healthy and very, very well trained. The dog does frisbee tricks, jumps off a dock like a pro, does roll-over, shake, knows all the basic obedience, is crate trained. Obviously, someone has spent a great deal of time and money on this dog. Someone somewhere is looking for that dog!

She would like to find the owner and has tried. No chip, however. She asked me if I had any ideas of how she might find the owner. She's advertised, checked with vets, animal shelters, etc. But since the dog was found on the interstate, the people are probably from out of town.

But in the meantime, she wants to keep the dog active so she's going to get her involved in dock diving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

No collar, no chip! In a dog that has been trained that well? Surpising?

About all that I can think of is an ad in the local papers, Craigslist, maybe as many of the vets in the area as your friend can get to.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

It sounds like she's done all she can. The only other thing I could think of, if she hasn't already, is putting a lost dog ad in other nearby cities' newspapers or putting notices in those cities' shelters.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Somebody is looking for that dog so keep advertising. My guess is if the dog's owners were on a trip and the dog escaped they would back track and check with local shelters. Make sure the local shelter has the description.
    FYI. A Blue Heeler is another name for the Australian Cattle Dog.
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/australian..._dog/index.cfm

Duke and Freckles at their country home

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I once found a little dog on a bridge over the expressway. I knocked on the door of the nearest house and he recognized the dog to belong to neighbor kids down the road.

Last week I found a beautiful chocolate lab in front of my house looking lost. No tags. I grabbed a leash and walked him up and down the street asking neighbors. (He was so well behaved, he put my dogs to shame.) Someone down the street recognized him as belonging to a neighbor who just moved in.

Don't assume the dog came from a car on the expressway. He may belong to someone who lives nearby. I would post a lost picture on a street near where he was found. Also report a description and phone number to animal control in all neighboring counties.

Another possibility is that there was an accident on the expressway and he got loose that way. The state Highway patrol may help there.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well thank goodness it was people like you all who found the dog, and realize that an owner somewhere is looking for it! I worry that not all people would be so perceptive...they might just think, "Wow, look at what a smart dog I found," not realizing that dogs are not born knowing a lot of tricks.

Petfinder.com has a lost/found section. Our city also has a local version of this. But be prepared to screen a lot of whackos when you advertise. The GSD I found had more nuts calling about him, trying to con me into believing it was their dog. Don't give out a lot of information - make them tell YOU about identifying marks, etc. I advertised as "Found: German Shepherd" and location, and that was it. I didn't even say male or female, and I didn't say age. This alone ruled out a lot of callers. It was pathetic how many of them were trying to "guess" correctly. Sickening.

I agree with not assuming he's from out of town, and checking with homes/shelters near where he was found.

How about calling some Australian Cattle Dog rescues and reporting it?

Oh, I would so love for you all to be able to find that owner...

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Well thank goodness it was people like you all who found the dog, and realize that an owner somewhere is looking for it!
    While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I wasn't the one who found it nor the one who has it now. A lady who called me about getting the dog into dock diving has it. She just asked me if I had any ideas about how she could find the owner.

But the same thing still goes. I, too, felt like that and was glad she found the dog and not someone else who could not have cared less about it.

I'll suggest petfinder.com. and fidofinder.com. She did say she tried Craig's list. I don't think she's done a lot of local work because she found the dog 2 states from where she lives. The dog was on the interstate and they were out of town, saw the dog, stopped and picked it up.

She's bring the dog to our event at the end of the month. I'll talk with her then about if she's made any progress. She's getting attached to it, though. She said it will be tough to give it up now.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

That seems strange that she would take it home (2 states away) and then try to get it into dock diving. It seems like she would have taken it to the humane society closest to where she found it.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

IMO something does not smell right. Why would they take the dog to a different state?? How thoroughly can you look when your not there??
    I say, take it to the media. TV, radio. DO NOT GIVE UP.
    We had a story of a Lab who was missing for 7 weeks up here but their owners lived down state.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast