Canidae brand food...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canidae brand food...

DefaultCanidae brand food...

Does anyone use this? Any opinions either way?

We decided that our dogs need to be eating better food. For the most part they've ate pedigree, but Pete has mostly ate iams or purina one. So we bought a smallish bag of the lamb Canidae to see how well it goes over.

Should I expect them to need less food?

Another question...

Does anyone blend food? We wondered if it would be a bad idea to buy a large bag Canidae and a smaller bag of pedigree and mixing them. This can both cut the cost a bit. We don't want to do that if it negates the rewards of the better food.

ok, I think that's it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Canidae brand food...

Mick didn't do well on Canidae. But, back then, they only had the chicken formula. He always looked a little skanky on chicken based foods, but I figured Canidae probably had better quality chicken than Pro Plan, so I tried it.

Kallie has always done really well on Canidae..She had some allergy issues so we had switched her to Wellness and she did horribly..always had loose BM's..at that time Canidae had come out with the one protein one carb choices so we tried the lamb and rice one and we haven't looked back...When we brought Guinness home we put him right on Canidae and he does really well with it too...I know our trainer recommends it but we were using it before hand...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henry did horribly on Canidae (All Life Stages... with chicken/turkey/lamb/fish). Wicked awful gas. :-X I'm pretty sure it was too rich for him. :-\

Well we've weened them off the old stuff and they've been getting nothing but the fancy stuff. So far we haven't seen any negative side effects. If three different dogs are doing fine on it then we might have what we're looking for.

I fed Canidae ALS also, and Marlan did HORRIBLE on it (massive, slimy, and very loose poops, eye boogies, prone to eye infections, dry, dull coat). I think he has a turkey allergy.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I like Canidae in theory, can't say I've tried it, however.

I'd say if they're doing well on the canidae, feed them only that and dump the pedigree, that stuff is garbage.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Champ was on Canidae ALS for approx. 6 months, and did great on it. The only reason we switched (to Pro Plan chicken) was because I started to worry about the potential of him developing food allergies as a result of eating a multiple protein source food.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Bella's been on Canidae (ALS) for almost 6 years and has done great on it. Firm poops, no gas, good coat, etc.
    Like any food, some will do well on it and some won't.

You'd have to look at the caloric density of both foods to figure out how much less you should feed compared to the other stuff.
    You probably want to blend while transitioning to a new food, but once you get to 100% new, you should just stick with it.
    It costs more per bag, but the bag will last longer because you won't need to feed as much volume.

Good luck.

Bella

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad
    Bella's been on Canidae (ALS) for almost 6 years and has done great on it. Firm poops, no gas, good coat, etc.
    Like any food, some will do well on it and some won't.

You'd have to look at the caloric density of both foods to figure out how much less you should feed compared to the other stuff.
    You probably want to blend while transitioning to a new food, but once you get to 100% new, you should just stick with it.
    It costs more per bag, but the bag will last longer because you won't need to feed as much volume.
    We did ween them off the old stuff into the new. You said exactly what we're hoping happens. Better food might be more expensive but we hoped to not have to use as much food. Hopefully it equals out. But I really don't mind if I have to pay a few bucks more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast