Sometimes I just don't understand......
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sometimes I just don't understand......

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultSometimes I just don't understand......

all the controversy that happens when the subject of pedigrees & lines comes up. I think most of us get our labs for many reasons....some want to show them, others hunt or run hunt test/trials, some just want a great companion. Maybe some folks are into agility. But all of our labs are pets & family members. All are loved. No matter if the lab has titles out the wazoo or is rescued from a shelter......they are all champions in my book. We love them all...no matter what they do or where they came from.

To me..all labs are beautiful..even if they don't meet the "standard."

There really is no standard for the unconditional love they give us and how much we love them.

That's all folks!! Just needed to say that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sometimes I just don't understand......

I have to say I second ALL of that! Mine was a rescue and my mom's has a great pedigree but we love them both the same and they give us the unconditional love even though they aren't both purebreds!

Great post! I love it! ;D

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I agree, aren't they all just so lovable? It's also fun to look at the different breeds that people here have and they are all so loved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well said, Georgie.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

I 2nd that emotion. Well said Georgie..and very very true!
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    all the controversy that happens when the subject of pedigrees & lines comes up. I think most of us get our labs for many reasons....some want to show them, others hunt or run hunt test/trials, some just want a great companion. Maybe some folks are into agility. But all of our labs are pets & family members. All are loved. No matter if the lab has titles out the wazoo or is rescued from a shelter......they are all champions in my book. We love them all...no matter what they do or where they came from.

There really is no standard for the unconditional love they give us and how much we love them.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Perfectly said......just perfect

Won't someone please feed me!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I can see both "sides" I think. The conformation side that thinks field labs deviate too greatly from the standard, the field folks who think that the conformation labs lack drive and ability. And then I know where I stand, which isn't really at either "camp", so to speak....... somewhere in the middle I suppose, as only a relative outsider can be.

I think many people get caught in the feelings of either superiority or inferiority. Where there are two types of one thing, it is human nature to decide which of the two one thinks is "better" or "worse" than the other. Reminds me a lot of Weber's "Ideal type", something that is definable and ideal, yet unattainable, and the implications that has on human behaviour/actions.

I think there is a feeling of inferiority that comes across with those folks who have "pet bred" dogs, which (I think) is pretty normal and understandable. There is a lot of prestige and respect and admiration in the dog "community" attached to dogs who have numerous titles, be they in the show ring or field or both. Dogs who come from more modest backgrounds have none of this prestige and respect and admiration attached to them. Add to that the fact that most people on the board vehemently oppose the breeding and purchasing of pet bred dogs (myself included), and voila, a feeling of being "less than" for those who own said dogs. :-[

I'd be lying if I said I never ever felt ashamed of where my dogs came from. One from a pet store, the other from a glorified BYB. :-[ :-[ BUT, I think that what is more important than feeling ashamed is making a decision. I have made a decision that my dogs mean the world to me, and it really truly does not matter where they came from, or how we ended up here together. All that matters is that we did. If I had the chance to go back and rethink my purchases, I would have done the exact same thing all over again, because never being able to know/love them exactly as they are is a horror I will not face, no other dogs would do for me in place of the two that I have now, regardless of where they came from.

I'm not ashamed anymore, and I really think my dogs are better looking than any other ones that I have ever met or seen, knowing of course that it would be foolish to expect others to agree with me. ;D It really doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about them, and it has taken me a bit of time to get to that point. I don't say that bitterly, I say it happily, knowing that I couldn't possibly be happier with any other two dogs on the whole wide world, and that the opinion of others has no bearing on that.

So, long post short, I can see where the defensiveness and other feelings lie, anytime a group of people feel passionately about anything, tempers are bound to come out, opinions and viewpoints bound to clash.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Amen!!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with Georgie.

I don'tunderstand why those with different objectives for their dogs, for the breed, can't respect each others ambition and get along. I understand correcting misinformation, there is certainly enough of it, and I may have posted some in my ignorance. Errors can be corrected without attack.

I guess the anonymity of the internet just provides a platform to be rude and inconsiderate. THIS WAS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE IN SPECIFIC.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Well said. I know Tal's pedigree has field trial dogs in it. His breeder pays particular attention to health, temperament.

He will never win any competitions, certainly not for conformation. Makes no difference to me. I enjoy seeing the ribbons and hearing the successes of those on here who do compete with their dogs, whatever the nature of the competition. The diversity just makes us all better for it and gives different perspectives. All I know is I have a faithful dog who knows he is loved and is safe. And there is nothing where he is concerned that gives me greater joy than seeing him happy, healthy and as Cesar would say, balanced.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast