Seatbelt harness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seatbelt harness

DefaultSeatbelt harness

I was thinking about buying a seatbelt harness for Rocky when I travel with him in my truck. He goes in a crate now but I'd like to get rid of that as it takes up to much room. Are they a good idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Seatbelt harness

I think, in theory, they are a good thing. I had a really crappy one and it was the most useless thing I have ever paid money for. Apparently you can buy good ones.. I am not sure of their brand/name, etc. but I am sure others will post about that. Good luck!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I use the Premier Sure-fit harness and their seat belt attachement in my truck. A side note, I snap the attatchment to the ring on the underside of the harness, not the one on the back. That way, God forbid, if I have an accident, Caleb will be pulled down instead of backwards.

Sure-fit harness
    http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?pag.../other#surefit

I don't see the seatbelt attachment on their new website. It's a 1 inch wide nylon strap with a snap at one end, and two seatbelt "buckles" at the other. I'll see if I can find a picture of it someplace else.

eta- This isn't the exact strap I have, but it will give you an idea what I'm talking about. Mine has two different sized "plugs" for the seatbelt receiver. The strap in this one doesn't look as sturdy as what I have, either, but that could just be the picture.
    http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/SB14978

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have mixed feelings on these. We have looked at buying them more than once. The only thing that we have noticed, which we have seen many times, is people who get in a wreck, their pup is able to escape being trapped in one spot. They are able to move and get away from the impact, whereas if they are harnessed they can't. To each his own though. The three of ours lay in our back seat :and I know that it also has it's dangers. I guess just weigh out the pros and cons. Sorry, I don't think that really helped you make a decision. :-\

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Use of containment has its questions and opinons. If you believe seatbelting humans saves lives, it logically would transfer to the dogs. Not to the same degree IMHO. The other aspect is an additional flying projectile (the dog(s)) in the car in an event. The dog could injure or add to the injury of the human, and/or get hurt worse from flying around or out.

That said, I use one of similar appearance to the one Micksmom linked to but the one I found is fully constructed from seatbelt harness material.

To be honest, I only use it in the convertible when the top is down, never in the SUV. Of course, I don't belt myself in either, except in the convertible with the top down. I don't like big brother taking that good care of me. I still believe I have the right to choose seatbelting for myself. With the top down. more risk of me and/or the dog beig thrown out. Easier for the olice: to see if I am wearing one and he doesn not need another excuse to pull me over for the $79 fine. Hmmmm! How do I know it is a $79 fine.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I'm of the school of thought that a properly restrained dog (in a crate or seatbelt harness) is much MUCH safer than a non-restrained one. Even the most obedient dog trained to lay down in the back of your car could become a projectile in your car, god forbid you hit anything (or were hit).

The only thing that we have noticed, which we have seen many times, is people who get in a wreck, their pup is able to escape being trapped in one spot. They are able to move and get away from the impact, whereas if they are harnessed they can't.
    On the other hand, what I would worry about is that yes, they could escape... out of the car and onto a busy highway, where they could be struck and killed by other vehicles. Or, ejected from your vehicle during the crash. Or, take off into the world, possibly injured. :-\ But that's just me.

To answer the OP's question, I used a crate for Henry when he was a pup, but when he outgrew the crate that could fit in our car, I went to a seatbelt harness (http://www.canineauto.com/champion.htm) with this specific attachment, the PetBuckle Kwic-Connect Tether (http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckl...ts_harness.htm).

It attaches to the LATCH bar in your vehicle, the same bar that you would attach a child's car seat to. Some seatbelt harnesses attach to the seat belt buckle or the seat belt strap, which may give.

This link has a video of a sled-test car crash with a restrained crash test dog and an unrestrained crash test dog...
    http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckle/why_petbuckle.htm

To be honest though, if I had a vehicle that I could put a restrained crate into, I'd have Henry ride in that.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I have this one for Kody and use it when he rides in my truck and my Jeep. http://www.jbpet.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=341

I have been very happy with it. I wouldn't trust their sizing by weight though, make sure you measure your dog before ordering. I had to get the XL for Kody even though his weight fell in the L category.

I bought a more expensive harness before this that worked ok, but had no adjustability.

I have seen first hand the result of an unrestrained dog in an accident and it was very sad. There is no way I could use a secured crate in my vehicles, so I use the harness.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274
    I have this one for Kody and use it when he rides in my truck and my Jeep. http://www.jbpet.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=341

I have been very happy with it. I wouldn't trust their sizing by weight though, make sure you measure your dog before ordering. I had to get the XL for Kody even though his weight fell in the L category.

I bought a more expensive harness before this that worked ok, but had no adjustability.

I have seen first hand the result of an unrestrained dog in an accident and it was very sad. There is no way I could use a secured crate in my vehicles, so I use the harness.
    Looks like the one I use with Hershey Kisses. I think it is great. Easy on and off, and very effective in keeping her where I want her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

sloigo is offline Senior Member

The 3 in one vest harness by RC is the best harness we have EVER PURCHASED! We have tried a few with working in rescue! It is a great walking harness & is wonderful for the car. The seatbelt slides through the up & down strap that can also be a handle if needed! We have two, one large & one small. The nice thing is they are adjustable & they are easy to put on the dog! Kiana can put hers on herself, she just needs us to snap the clips on the back, literally! They can adjust from skinny Kiana at about 50 pounds tightened at the max up to Mia when all the way let out at about 90 pounds. It isn't any hotter than anything cause the material is that real breathable stuff. Because it isnt just a strap it wont "cut" into them....... The other nice thing is the seat belt slips through & that makes them keep their butt planted! I have NEVER had a dog slip out of this harness either, it's a great design! We have had ours at least 4 years (you can toss in washer too if needed).
    Anyway, WE ALL LOVE IT! ;D

http://www.muttropolis.com/products2...-Vest-Harness#

Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

I have one and we are very happy with it. Shelby uses it when she's in the car, and has used it for several 15-16 hour trips. For long trips it's especially preferable for a couple of reasons: Shelby is very comfortable in it, she gets to sit next to one of my kids while we travel, and I don't lose the space I would if I had a crate set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast