Purchasing a dog and other questions
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a dog and other questions

DefaultPurchasing a dog and other questions

My wife and I last week picked up a dog from the Humane Society and unfortunately that dog did not work out. Its temperament was way off the chart as for being way to protective of us and our home in just the few days we had it. The dog was a mix Germain shep. and maybe collie. When I took the dog back my wife was just heart broken and still is. It was the first dog we have ever had in our home.

Since we have two small children 4 and 6 year old it is a must that we have dog that gets along with everyone that comes into our home. So after some searching I found this site and searched about buying from a quality breeder a yellow lab pup. On this Monday I almost had a lady bring a male yellow to our house to buy ($150) but thankfully I researched here the nightbefore this might have taken place and am actively searching for a quality breeder. That person was clearly a hobby breeder and the info I got from her on the phone was a bit odd as she sold the male to a hunter and they were AKC but nothing beyond that and claimed champion blood lines in the male but it wounded like several dogs back on that.

I found a couple within a reasonable drive from where I live (NW Iowa) and found one to have listed the OFA on his dogs and the listing for the male was as fair and the female as good.

What is the difference from a OFA on hips as good and fair? Is it uncommon to get an excellent rating? And if so do these ones bring a higher price because of that. This is all very new to me and I would rather spend money no on a quality dog that to have to spend it later on putting the animal through surgery for hip issues and more. I am guessing the OFA does not mean the dog willnot have problems but is more in the dogs favor of better health down the road.

The purpose in getting a dog will be only as a family pet. It will not be shown or used for hunting. We are a very active family outside so as important as it is for its demeanor to us it is to our towns people as there have been several dogs that have bitten people in our small town.

Your thoughts. We also do not have a fenced in yard but I am rather against that anyway.

Please please do not bring up adopting another one from a shelter though. While I am sure there a multitudes of good dogs there I am not going to possibly put my wife through this again as to bringing a dog back to a shelter. It was just horrible to put my wife through this emotionally as she is very sensitive to animals.

We have a older cat here at home as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Purchasing a dog and other questions

If you're in Iowa, I'd contact www.shadowmystlabs.com or look at www.winnebagolrc.com

As far as OFA...Fair, Good and Excellent are all passing and I wouldn't hesitate getting a pup from a Fair parent, from a reputable breeder.

Did you grow up with dogs? Have your kids been around dogs before?

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Your thoughts. We also do not have a fenced in yard but I am rather against that anyway.

Why are you against it? It's by far the safest and best way to have a dog in your family.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Most rescue groups have wonderful dogs. My Nellie is from a rescue in Maryland. I could not have asked for a better dog.

Dani is offline Senior Member

what do you know about labradors? They ARE great family pets...but they require a lot of training, exercise and patience, ESPECIALLY as pups. I think Jen, from Canyon Labradors has a great thread stickied somewhere about questions to ask when looking for a breeder.

Nicole gave you some good recommendations, and yes, reputable breeders will bring higher price tags because of the amount of money they put into their dogs.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Dog
    We also do not have a fenced in yard but I am rather against that anyway.
    I think I know what you mean by this, and I agree with you. I've found that many people feel that having a fenced in yard provides adequate exercise for a pup/dog, and I have met sooo many dogs that are bored out of their minds because the only exercise they ever get is having a ball thrown for them a few times in the backyard. : I have a very small yard, but even if I had a huge one my dogs would still get walked every single day and taken to parks/outings, etc. In my puppy/dog search, I too was frustrated by the assumption that fenced-in yard = great dog owner, when I have seen so much evidence to the contrary. Technically I can say I have a "fenced-in yard", just don't ask me how big it is.

Anyways, back on track.... keep in mind it is not just the parents that have an impact on your puppy's health. There are some studs out there who have "excellent" hips but produce dysplastic puppies, and there are studs out there who are "fair" but have great track records of producing pups free of dysplasia. Also, the dogs family tree plays a part as well, ideally you want to know that the lines have tested clear at least a few generations back, as well as siblings etc.. (called a horizontal pedigree.... I think...?) If you can look them up on the OFA website, any relatives of theirs that have been tested as well should show up under the dog/bitch. So, in a nutshell, it's much more complicated than just the clearances of the parents.

Nicole (JacksAndLabs) knows her stuff, I'm sure the two she recommended are fantastic breeders. Be prepared to wait, as many times reputable breeders won't have puppies available all the time, most only breed about once or twice a year.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

fburke is offline Senior Member

Labs make great family dogs. I have a 12 year old and a 3 year old and they all get along great. Use this site for your research you will find lots of information about what to look for in a breeder and what to avoid.

Labs are wonderful dogs although they do require a few things to be happy. Labs are smart dogs so a good lab is a tired lab. They have lots of energy so you need to provide and out for this like time in the yard running or a walk with you , throwing a ball at a park ect. A Lab can be destructive if its board, you may want to invest in a crate, it will save your house.

Keep in mind that from a breeder you are looking upwards of $600 for a lab puppy and this is on the lower end of the scale some people on this board have happily paid $1000 or more for a well bread Lab puppy. Just be careful of the Puppy Mills or Backyard breeders.

You’re not just buying a dog, your investing in a family member, friend and companion for life. If you’re on budget constraints and just want a family companion please consider on of the many Lab Rescue Organizations. These are people that just deal in Labs and the adoption fees usually are under $350.00 most Lab rescue Organizations use “Fosters” people whom volunteer and keep the dogs at there home so they usually have a pretty good idea of there temperament and any behavioral issues. Unlike a shelter who does there best to clear space for the next dog a rescue volunteer usually cares where the dogs goes and does there best to make sure the dog is a good fit for the family.

Any question feel free to post on this board we only require pictures of your new addition when you get him or her.

Good Luck!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I got my Gryphon from Julie at Shadowmyst and I highly recommend her. Wonderful person and trust her completely!
    Kim

Welcome to JL and thanks for doing some research before purchasing your puppy.
    I would be fine with buying a pup with parents that have been cleared as "fair" or "good" and as you stated it's still not a guarentee but it's better than no clearances and shows the breeder puts an effort into their pups health.
    I like to refrence this site for any questions reguarding health or getting a puppy it belongs to one of our members here (labby) and has so much good information
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html
    Please be aware a lab puppy is no walk in the park and will take a lot of time and work. If you can make it though the first year it's so worth it though. Be prepared for lot of biting (you and the kids) until about 4-5 months old, chewing on shoes, couches, walls, and whatever else they can get a hold of, messes in the house until you get the potty trained. Some puppies have few of these issues and others have them all. The breeder should be able to help you pick out the puppy that will fit your family, preferably one that's more laid back probably since you have younger children. I (along with most on here) highly recommend crate training them I promise it's not cruel as some people thing but it can actually be much safer for them and most don't mind at all after the first few weeks. It will also save your stuff from being destroyed when you are away and give them a safe place if they need a break from the kids.

Good luck with your decision.

Congratulations on your decision to get a Labrador and I am so glad you are doing your research. There are so many ways to go.

Of course there are rescues which can provide you with great dogs and there are reputable breeders who compete with their dogs in events.

Remember when you contact breeders that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you....and if they don't even try to interview you it's time to go somewhere else.

One suggestion I have for you is to try to contact breeders with an open mind regarding what you want. I know you are talking about puppies, but if I were in your shoes I would ask about the "program washouts". Many breeders will keep the best 2 or sometimes 3 puppies from a litter and run on them a while to see who turns out. This usually results in older puppies with training and socialization which means less work for you. These pups could be anywhere from 4 months to a year, but the breeders will know them better and be able to be honest with you about whether or not they will fit into your lifestyle.

Now that I've gushed about how great it is you are doing research...I don't think a reputable breeder would sell a puppy or dog to anyone without a fenced in backyard. Is there a specific reason you don't want to fence your yard?

...and OFA fair is still passing. Think of it as pass fail. OFA excellent, good and fair all pass.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast