It makes me a little sad

Thread: It makes me a little sad

DefaultIt makes me a little sad

I'm a little upset that I've heard Clarence growling at Fitz and that I've seen him snap at him a few times, not because I feel upset for Fitz, rather I feel upset for Clarence. I know very well that they have to establish their order of things and that it's natural but until Saturday, I had never heard Clarence growl or seen him snap at anything or anyone. It's a little upsetting to see my sweet sweet boy do this. But I'll hide my feelings and let nature do its thing. :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: It makes me a little sad

I would look at it in a more positive light. He's training Fitz.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

We went through this also with Jasper, our black lab when we got Jed. Both Jonah and Jasper are 2 of the most gentle placid boys you would ever wish to meet, yet when the rug~rat arrived on the scene we too heard the rumbling of growls and the occasional gnarling of teeth and snapping of jaws just from Jasper.

Nine weeks have passed since Jed arrived and the house is back to normal, he has been accepted into the pack, found his order and all's well with the world.

I agree it is unnerving and you wonder if you have done the right thing upsetting the apple cart, but in most cases i think nature sorts things out, try not to worry too much, I'm sure Clarence will soon accept Fitz and they will be firm buddies ~

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I know exactly how you feel; went through it 8 years ago when I brought Mitzi home to my wonderful Kasa, who never in her nine years showed teeth or growled. This is what happened whenever Mitzi yapped at her:

I thought " What did I do to Kasa?" This was Jan, 2000. By late spring they were buddies. I often attribute the fact that Mitzi was such a good puppy to Kasa's discipline.
    Clarence just needs some time to adjust before he and Fitz are good buddies.

I might be in the same boat as you are..when we bring the new guy home in March..I'm hoping Dakota will 1. not think he is a moving stuffed toy 2. feel misplaced from us and 3. resent the new one. Let us know how it all works out. Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceMom
    I'm a little upset that I've heard Clarence growling at Fitz and that I've seen him snap at him a few times, not because I feel upset for Fitz, rather I feel upset for Clarence. I know very well that they have to establish their order of things and that it's natural but until Saturday, I had never heard Clarence growl or seen him snap at anything or anyone. It's a little upsetting to see my sweet sweet boy do this. But I'll hide my feelings and let nature do its thing. :-\

Thanks all. Yes, I feel as though I've totally upturned the apple cart! It hasn't even been a week yet, so I'll be patient. I'm sure I'll be posting here by March that they're totally inseparable. I just have to be strong when Clarence looks at me like "What have you done to our perfect, one furkid family?!"

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

I know I would have a very hard time not butting in. I was lucky that Jake was very good with Jazzy from day one. I bet it won't be long for them to bond.

Brookville, Pa.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Linda1
    I just love that picture! A stick for 2. ;D

Bella

I am sure it will work out. I bet Clarence is just making sure little Fitz know *the rules*. Puppies can be pesty sometimes. I would just keep an eye on them, I bet they are best buds in no time! Here are a couple pics from when Jake and Ginger met. Jake is the little one (well, he was the little one, now he is huge) Ginger was about 8 months in these pics. She came to *visit* from a family member's house and never went home. Long story....let's just say she has found her forever home. I did have some aggression issues a while back with Ginger, but it was against the other dogs. She took Jake as her pup and would protect him.
    Jake walking Ginger and True Love!