Dry skin on puppy

Thread: Dry skin on puppy

DefaultDry skin on puppy

So Fitz seems pretty itchy....It's really really dry here (I go through more lotion and lip balm)...should we be giving Fitz any supplements with his food for the dryness until he acclimates?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dry skin on puppy

Try giving him peanut butter. The peanut oil in it is great for their coats. You can put some in a Kong and let him lick it out or even freeze it for him for a treat that will last a while specially of you crate him.

This used to be Willow’s special treat when she went into the crate for the night.

I used low fat Skippy

There may be other supplements they you can either mix with there food or give separately but the peanut butter is cheap and most people have it on hand.

Good luck

Leigh I'd start with the peanut butter.

If that doesn't help you could try some fish oil supplements.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think a humidifier would be a big help and safer than altering diet.

See this thread for a discussion:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg867695
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for the help. I just opened a new thing of lip stuff today--again... The trainer said that it would be a good idea to add salmon oil to both boys' food. Clarence's coat could use some moisture also. We do have a humidfier--one that runs through our heating system and another supplemental one in our bedroom. Also, I think that when we start giving Fitz the California Natural Puppy food his coat won't be so dull and strawlike--my little scarecrow!

Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceMom
    Thanks for the help. I just opened a new thing of lip stuff today--again... The trainer said that it would be a good idea to add salmon oil to both boys' food. Clarence's coat could use some moisture also. We do have a humidfier--one that runs through our heating system and another supplemental one in our bedroom. Also, I think that when we start giving Fitz the California Natural Puppy food his coat won't be so dull and strawlike--my little scarecrow!
    I found the food change helped Billie a TON. She's nowhere near as itchy as she was when she was on Nutro. I wish we had the option of a humidifier system like you're describing as our house is so static-y that we cannot even pull back our comforter on our bed without it snapping and cracking. We could put a humidifier in every room and run it full time and it wouldn't do any good unfortunately.

California Natural and some salmon oil along with your already humidified house will probably make Mr. Itchy feel much much better. ;D

Isn't the static the worst right now? Last night after we turned the lights off to go night-night Clarence was re-adjusting on his doggy bed and the sparks were flying under his paws! Yeow!

during this time of year, i give my dog 2 fish oil tabs/day (instead of one) and i always run the humidifier in the bedroom at night. If i don't, I see sparks...

I also will give a few anchovies when it gets really cold out.

Its hard with a black dog...